Chapter 10: Day 2 Back

James, Bella, and Jacob stood waiting in line at the school parking lot, Jacob and Bella discussing random things such as the velocity in which hitting the water is lethal. Soft sounds of almost euphoric EDM beats filled his head and he instantly knew who evoked such pleasant thoughts...

James had his eyes glued to his truck, looking at the dent... then his image of Edward holding him close, arm out protectively and their eyes meeting for a brief second. He looked up and saw the Cullen's arriving and beginning to also go to the bus. Field Trip day. Luckily James and Bella got a free pass since Charlie isn't around to sign their slips... Bella even manage to convince the teacher to allow Jacob to tag along with the pretense of Jacob also assisting the teacher with various tasks throughout the trip. He even got promotion from the school in the Reservation,
Then one of Bella's friend popped up into his vision, interrupting him and Edward staring at each other.
"Hey so I know we haven't really talked much but your kinda cute and I wanted to know-" and that's when James started ignoring him. Edward couldn't tear his eyes away and neither could James... intense and very heart pounding sometimes.
"So what do you think?" His attention was brought back to the guy in front of him.
"About...?"
"Going to prom... with me...?"
James awkwardly came up with his best sounding excuse, it's not that the guy wasn't cool and kinda cute but... he didn't know any of Bella's friends and certainly didn't think it was a good idea. Give him a white lie... he believes that this ones name is Chris... and he has been really sweet to him before.
"Oh Prom. Dancing and stuff. Not really my thing, I'm more of a Netflix and chill guy. I'd love to go unfortunately I have plans already to go to Washington! You should ask Jessica though.... I think she really likes you. Totally would love to go but I'm booked, but your more then welcome to come hangout with me sometime Chris..."
The guy looked a little bummed but his cheery attitude shined through when he spoke the last part of his sentence and James continued chatting with him as they walked to the bus to board.

1 hour later

James could be easily forgiven for all the stares and mutters that people have been giving him, not because Charlie is missing, he had almost universal support from everyone about THAT. It's Edward... people have started to take notice that he pays special attention to James and Bella, one guy even went so far as to try to tape a paper labeled "FAG" onto his back, luckily Jacob played good guy and swatted the guys hand away before he could do it. Score 1 Jacob. Honestly, he didn't understand whats going on, but if the Cullen's really can protect him from whatever attacked him and his family that night, then he wont take chances with Bella's life at stake, his own wouldn't be much concern. 

"Jaaaames?" Jacob asked waving a hand in front of James's face and he snapped out of his thought and looked over at him. "We're about to arrive. Bella recommends bringing your phone in case Alice needs to get a hold of you. Also... between me and you, I know the Cullen's might seem like a weird ass reclusive family, but they really can protect you from... the things in this town. Especially Alice and Edward. I don't know what you did but Alice has taken a strong liking to you already. Must be the B.O. I know I found it hard to.... and we're here." Jacob started and finished as the bus screeched to a halt and Jacob stood up to go assist with the Councilor assistance. James felt a strange urge to beg Jacob to continue his sentence but before he could say anything, Edward offered a hand as he helped the boy out of his seat. James politely thanked him and all but ran off the bus to get out of the cramp space first.

He tagged alone behind everyone, Jacob and Bella had also gone ahead towards the tip of the group, Alice and the others were relatively closer and Edward was just in front of him. He heard the teacher make a comment about not drinking the fecal slug and he simply smirked. Edward stopped and said something as James turned to look at him.

"Whats in Jacksonville?"

"Wait, how did you hear about that?"

"You didn't answer my question."

"You never answer any of mine Edward, you don't even say hi to me..."

"Hi."

"So you gonna tell me how you magically stopped the van?"

"Sure. Adrenaline Rush. Its very common."

James scoffed at this dumb excuse and just decided to let it go and answer his question.

"A very dark event. That's what's in Jacksonville."

"What kind of dark event?"

"Call it a event I would rather never speak of again."

"Ok, I'm sorry if I come off rude, its just the best way..."

"The best way for -"

Jessica nearly headbutted Edward out of the conversation and it was a very awkward moment for the two as Edward just walked off

"He asked me to prom! I was so sure he was gonna ask you. Bisexual tendencies can be a bitch when you like a guy who is one. It's not gonna be really weird for you right?"

"No, I think you two go great together."

And with that James saw Bella break apart from the group when they got outside and immediately went off after her. Edward stopped him halfway by grabbing his arm and turning him a full 180 to look into his eyes.

"James we shouldn't be friends."

"You should've thought about that before you decided to basically adopt me and sleep on my couch, if you regret me that much you should have just let the van crush me!"

Edward stopped and his eyes were wide with a bit of disbelief and even a bit of surprise.

"You think I regret saving you...?"

"I can see that you do!"

"You don't know anything."

Edward almost snarled that part out as Alice busted in like a Queen

"James, you gonna be riding with us home?"

Edward cut him off coldly as he stormed off.

"No, our bus is full. He can ride with Jacob."

Alice looked really apologetic to him and sadly smiled before getting on the bus with Edward, Jasper following suit.

LATER

Bella sat at the kitchen table looking out into the woods behind the house and didn't even look over as she spoke.

"Mom called... she found out about Dad and.... she is demanding we come back. I told her we had people looking after us and that we didn't need to but.... she insisted. She will be coming within the next week to "Judge the worthlessness of your protectors"."

"And who told Mom I wonder."

"I suppose you have a bit of a point. I... was just really worried when it happened. I had no details other then you were in the hospital."

"Bella, my dearest sister. Love to you, but you should worry more about Jacob then me."

"Jacob.... you won't forgive him will you?"

"No. Not yet. He almost killed you Bella, not to mention..."

"Look I know you might have felt something for him, It was obvious to even Charlie. It was 4 years ago. You can't be a junior and still hold that kind of resentment for a accident."

"Feelings can dull, and friends can become enemies quicker then you could think."

"Couldn't have said it better myself."

Edward made his presence known as he walked into the kitchen and James gritted his teeth and walked off back into the living room. Alice was there and tried to say something but he cut her off.

"Playing with fire can be very dangerous Alice. Tell Edward to get his hormones out of his ass and tell the truth once in a while."

Alice looked rather surprised to hear such things come from someone so chill like. And James just slammed his door and locked it.

"Who needs friends when you have Edward..."