After that, things really started to get ugly.

As if ready to eradicate humanity with all its power, Kuru began showing on the outside. Blisters of various sizes began spreading all throughout the patient's body, a striking similarity to smallpox placing patients in quarantine. Volatile spurts of puss, blood and mucus ejected from the mouths, noses, eyes, and open blisters of the patients, infecting unsuspecting nurses and doctors. Projectile vomiting had also grown problematic, as it was just as spontaneous and continued for an extended, worrisome amount of minutes.

Infected doctors began unknowingly spreading the full-fledged version of Kuru. The virus had risen to its full potential, facilitating contagion and speeding up its spread.

Doctors were unable to match symptoms to a corresponding virus, as it was unprecedented. Doctors tested every antibiotic, trying their best to combat a force they'd never seen before. Only when the virus continued to escalate without a way to slow it down, did the government finally step in. Kuru was undisclosed, families left to wonder what had happened to their mothers or fathers, sisters or brothers, sons and daughters. The nation had not yet gone into panic, as the virus had become a classified topic. The public was told it was a case of small pox, derailing any hint of suspicion from unsuspecting families, but raising questions from theorists.

An eradicated illness has suddenly made its reappearance?

Kuru delivered its final blow when left and right, people died of heart failure, the arteries overwhelmed with copious amounts of parasitic larvae that attempted to stop the heart.

As soon as the heart stopped and the patient passed, the virus began to take over, gaining control of the human brain form from the decades of its incubation period. Years of gaining information over the span of decades, Kuru had learned about the functionality of the human body—behavioral learning.

The second people died, the symptoms went away. The parasites began their hunt, springing the human body back to life and feeding hungrily on the living.

Kuru's incubation period was shortened drastically, and it meant catastrophic changes to the every day life of the human being. The shorter the incubation period, the faster the infection spread.

Kuru had waited patiently for its time to shine, and now that it had its spotlight, it wouldn't give it up for the world. Instead, Kuru took the opportunity, and the world.

As chaos ensued, living turned into survival, and safety was no longer granted.

The government tried to combat the uprising of flesh eating monsters, declaring all-out war on them and Martial Law on the remaining civilians. Military vehicles, men in heavy armor and extensive weaponry filled the streets, testing humans for any signs of the disease. The people with minor signs or advanced symptoms of the virus were killed on the spot, left to bleed out on the streets until garbage trucks and trailers loaded the bodies and took them away to be burned. The "pure", as the government had begun to call the uninfected, were kept under surveillance, protected but prevented from being outside for extended periods of time. The ill and the elderly were kept in separate areas, believed to be easily susceptible to the virus. Families were separated, children taken from parents and placed under a separate roof for "their safety".

Mara had been one of the people separated from her parents. She was 16 at the time, with fear adamant in her stomach as she tried to make sense of the disarray that was shaking the world to its core. She could barely hear herself think over the tumultuous, confused kids who wanted their mothers and fathers. The men guarding them would always end up shouting orders, demanding silence as if what they were doing wasn't anything to worry about. There were hundreds of kids, separated into groups in order to fit in the random homes they'd been assigned. Mara would stare at the family pictures and often wonder if her parents were just as scared as she was, but there would never be a way to know.