Chapter Eight - Breathless Wonder

Start from the beginning

It was difficult not to choke on the medicine with Cain touching me.

"Alright," the doctor said. "I need you to lay back down for me."

I did so with Cain's help, although I refused to look at him.

The doctor came over as Cain walked around the table to stand at my feet and watch.

I winced as the doctor gave me the injection of anesthesia in my cheek.

"I'm going to give that a second to set in," he said, observing the cut. "Looking at the wound, I think you'll need three or four stitches."

Wonderful, I thought.

A couple of minutes passed as the doctor prepared his tools and the numbing set in.

He only took a few short minutes to stitch up the cut on my cheek before he rubbed ointment over skin and placed a bandage over it.

The doctor helped me sit up as he gave me ointment and bandages of my own.

"Keep the wound clean, but don't wash it with soap until it closes. Make sure you put ointment on it afterwards and keep it bandaged up. This will reduce scarring."

I nodded taking the bandages and tube of ointment from him.

"Here's something for your headache," he said handing me a bottle of pills. "If you start to get bad migraines, let me know and we can get you something stronger. Also, if you're still nauseous in twenty-four hours, I can get you something for that too, just let him know."

He nodded at Cain when he said this. I looked over at Cain to meet his stare and I looked back to the doctor.

"Thank you," I said.

He nodded.

"Thank you for fighting the bastard and staying alive," he said. "I don't like signing death certificates."

I laughed nervously before Cain interjected.

"We should be going now," he said.

Cain took my hand and helped me off the table. When my knees buckled under, he picked me up quickly.

My head was spinning so fast I couldn't see straight.

"I think I'm going to be sick," I said.

Cain looked at the doctor who nodded quickly.

"You know, I think I better go ahead and get you some of that anti-nausea medicine."

He left the room to go get it and I sighed.

I couldn't help but nuzzle my head into the crook of Cain's neck. He smelt divine and I couldn't hold my head up to save my life.

I heard the doctor return and he handed Cain another bottle of pills.

"You'll need to rest for the next two weeks at least," the doctor told me. "That means no excessive movement or long periods of standing and I don't want you reading or writing either. Your brain needs to rest."