Lair Of The Flying Beasts

Start from the beginning

"I know." Glorfindel said. "It is time. The sun is up in the sky, we have to go."

"Yes."

Taking her arm, he led her to his steed, Asfaloth. The white horse whinnied upon seeing them. "Asfaloth, we have company. Please bear with her." He addressed the creature in an affectionate way, like he was talking to a friend.

He sat behind Mirialia and they were about to leave when Gimli spoke to them, panic heard on his voice.

"Wait! Where will you be taking her, elf?"

"The business is our own, dwarf."

"The King does not allow her to leave this land!"

"We're leaving."

Asfaloth started to gallop, but Gimli ran behind them, trying to block their way. "I will not allow you to take her!"

The elf audibly sighed. "I guess I have no choice, Miriel."

Glorfindel grabbed Gimli and sat him at his back. "Asfaloth, there is another one. I think he is heavier than the two of us. Please go now before I change my mind and drop him to the ground."

"What do you think you are doing?!" Gimli shouted. "This is...this is kidnapping!"

"Oh yes it is." The elf rolled his eyes, showing signs of irritation.

"Asfaloth is quite fast, unlike the usual horses you've been given to ride." Glorfindel whispered to Mirialia.

In a flash, everything became a blur. She saw the main gate of the kingdom...the stations surrounding it...then the outside world. All she knew was she almost fell and his hand was just there to catch her in time. As days passed by, she had fallen asleep in Glorfindel's arms. He wrapped his right arm around her neck and shoulder and pulled her towards him, while the dwarf held firmly on his robe.

At last they arrived at the base of a mountain.

"We are here." Glorfindel announced.

Mirialia opened her eyes with a moan and, slowly sitting up, looked at her surroundings. He was not kidding when he said that Asfaloth was fast. In fact, she felt cheated because his warning was an understatement of the horse's speed. Gimli became aware of how strong the legendary elf and his mount were.

"I must leave for now." He informed the two.

"Where are you going?" Mirialia asked worriedly.

"I must speak with someone." Glorfindel replied. "Do not worry, young one. He will take you to their place."

The elf pointed a finger towards the direction ahead of them. An old man wearing an earthen-brown robe slowly approached them. He carried a staff made and forged of oak. Gimli also noticed two birds flying around his head.

"Miriel, Gimli. I want you to meet Radagast, the Brown. A worthy and great wizard, the Bird-Tamer." Glorfindel introduced.

"Another wizard." Gimli said.

"Just like Gandalf." Miriel followed.

The two bowed to him.

The wizard smiled genuinely, and greeted them. "Oh yes. Gandalf is my old friend." He looked at Mirialia, detailing her features. "Seeing you, my lady, makes my heart glad. Your mother, Anvanya, was the kindest."

"You met her too." The young woman smiled back.

"Please, Radagast. Take them with you." Glorfindel said. "I will be back."

As the elf strode away, Mirialia and Gimli followed the wizard up to the mountain. A mist was covering the ground, floating, creating an eerie atmosphere. All she could hear was the humming of the insects and the chirping of the birds. Hours of walking further, she scrutinized each side of the forest, each tree and bush. Everything felt so...old.