Chapter 9

Susceptible

Chapter 9

|Ash Parrish|

"Sheriff."

He turned around, "Hey, Ash. What's wrong?"

I was out of breath from running all the way to the station. "Where is my brother?" I leaned on the wall for support.

"Anyone see Parrish? Haigh?" Sheriff Stilinski asked another deputy.

"Haven't seen him." Deputy Haigh said, barely looking up from his computer. If it wasn't for my wolf hearing, I wouldn't have heard his heart skip a beat.

"He's lying." My eyes flashed involuntarily. What did he do to Jordan?

"Ash. Move." I heard Jordan's voice from behind me.

I turned around to see my brother covered in black soot and ashes. I watched as my brother tackled Deputy Haigh to the floor. The Deputy tried to shoot Jordan but the gun turned, causing the bullet to graze my arm and hit Sheriff. Jordan punched him in the face until he passed out. I was stuck in place. My brother, who shouldn't be a supernatural, is one and he just survived being burned to death.

"Ash, call Derek and Scott. Pack meeting now." Lydia said.

-
-

"He covered you in gasoline?" Derek asked, looking at Jordan's hands.

"Hair and nails, isn't it? The parts of the body that are dead." Lydia said, looking toward Derek.

"They should be gone." He replied.

"I was set on fire. All of me should be gone." Jordan looked around.

"Not if you're like us." Scott told him.

"Like you?"

"I don't think he's like us." Derek looked between Scott and Jordan.

"What is he?" Lydia asked.

"I'm sorry but I have no idea."

I remained quiet because I didn't know what he was either. Technically, Jordan should be a wolf like me. Our father was a wolf while our mother was human. But neither wolves nor humans can survive being burned to death.

"But you knew about Kira and Jackson."

"This is a little out of my experience. There might be something in the bestiary. Did you try Argent?" Derek asked.

Scott shook his head, "I don't know where he is."

"Hold on, What's a bestiary? Actually, that's not even my first question. Just tell me one thing... Are all of you like Lydia? Are you all psychic?" Jordan asked.

"Psychic?"
Jordan nodded, "Yeah."

"Not exactly." Scott said.

"Ok then, what are you?" I looked at Derek, who looked at Scott. Scott closed his eyes before opening them again, showing off his red eyes.

-
-

I still remained silent as Scott, Derek and Lydia tried to explain to Jordan everything that's happening.

"What's a kanima?" Jordan asked.

"We'll get back to that, okay? Just know that everyone like us, everyone with some kind of supernatural ability is on the dead pool."

"But I don't even know what I am."

"Pretty sure they don't care." Derek mumbled.

"How many professional assassins are we talking about?"

"We're starting to lose count." Lydia said quietly.

"Are they still just professionals?" Scott asked.

"I don't think Haigh's ever tried anything like this. I think he was taking a chance." Jordan told us.

"That means anyone with the dead pool can take a chance."

"Well if Haigh had it, Who else has it? How easy is it to get this thing now?"

None of us answered. We didn't know who had it or how easy it was to get it.

-
-

Derek had drove Jordan and I home. I yawned as I collapsed onto my bed. It was a long day for all of us.

"Ash?" My brother knocked on my door.

"It's open." I sat up as he walked in.

"Liam's not sleeping over?"

I shook my head, "We had an, uh, fight."

"How's your arm?" I lifted my sleeve to show him that the wound was healed.

"Ash?" I nodded for him to continue, "What are you?"

"I'm a werewolf but I'm not like Scott. I can shift into an actual wolf."

"What about mom and dad?"

"You remember how dad was almost never home and his excuse was that he was working two jobs?"

Jordan nodded, "He lied. Dad was an alpha of about 100 wolves. They were training for a war, a war between them and an enemy pack. That's how they died. Mom was human, however, she knew about the pack and she aided them."

My eyes were filling with tears, "The enemy pack had been spying on us for a few weeks and found out that she was married to the alpha. They killed her and Dad flipped out and went on their territory. The war lasted about 4 hours before our pack went extinct."

He wiped the tears from my face, "Where were you? Where was I?" He mumbled.

"You were in the army. I was at Liam's house."

Jordan pulled me into a hug. "I'm so sorry, Ash. I left you for all those years."

He pulled away, "We'll be okay. We'll survive this dead pool and figure out what I am, okay? It's late and you have school tomorrow, so get some rest." He kissed my forehead before walking out.

-
•AWW PARRISH FAMILY FEELS but do you guys remember how during the most recent wolf watch, Cole predicted that Parrish was a Phoenix? I had predicted the same thing as soon as he survived the fire. More info about their family and background will be revealed *laughs evilly*•