Chapter 24

Chapter 24

Iris Parker

Entering the doors of the house, my mind was still filled with thoughts of my father. He must feel lonely living in that house all alone. 

"Finally decided to come home?" 

I rolled my eyes when I heard that voice. I sighed, tired and frustrated and confused. I just don't know what to do anymore. 

Although I was looking on the ground,  I knew that he was right in front of me. I chose to ignore him and walk past him, making my way upstairs. I know the triplets were asleep because it was already past 11 at night. 

I may or may not have taken my time to get home. 

However, I was spun around when Liam caught me by the arm. I was forced to look at him. His hair was messed up as if he passed his hand through them a thousand times. His emerald eyes looked tired and confused at the same time. 

I tried to break free from his hold, but of course he was stronger. 

"Liam, please. I'm tired." I plead. He slowly let go and I take this chance to walk away from him and went straight towards our bedroom. 'Our.' 

No matter how many times I think about us, it didn't work anymore. We couldn't work anymore. 

I started by removing my sandals as I made my way towards my closet. However, the room's door opened and Liam strolled in. I didn't bother looking towards him as I ignored my racing, yet breaking heart. 

"Okay, what the heck's going on, Iris?" he asks, still displeased. What's his deal? 

I looked at him, making sure that my face was stoic. 

"What do you mean?" I play dumb. That wasn't a good move because he starts walking towards me. Instead of moving away, trying to get away from him, I stood still. 

He wiped his face with his hands and I understood that he was tired. Probably from work. Probably from me. 

"What's wrong with you?" 

I scoff bitterly at his question.

"What's wrong with me? I don't know, what's wrong with you? You act like nothing ever happened, like you never hurt me." my cheeks warmed up and I could feel m eyes watering. Ugh, I absolutely hated this. I didn't want to cry. I'm so sick and tired of crying. So I tried my best to hold them back. "Liam, everything's wrong. You and me, us! Us playing pretend that everything's fine, like we're a good, happy family, because we're not." 

At this point, I was a sobbing mess, but I wasn't done yet. I had more things to say. Five years worth of pain. 

Liam had an expression that I couldn't quite decipher, but he let me speak and he stood still, letting the words sink in. 

"Believe me, Liam. I want us to be all complete, I want us all to be ha-happy. For the triplets. Because they deserve it and they don't deserve messed up parents like us. B-but it's getting so hard, Liam. I-... I feel like I'm carrying a heavy weight inside of me and I can't carry it anymore. I can't go on everyday pretending like I'm still not hurt. Because, damn it! Every time I see you, I remember everything." 

I continued sobbing and I waited for him to say something. 

Now, I could see it clearly. His eyes held pain, sadness and... hurt. I didn't have time to be amazed or be moved that he let down his guards. My legs felt weak and my head started feeling dizzy and so I let myself sit down on the bed. 

I was trying to calm my sobbing self down as I looked down on my hands, playing with them and trying to steady my breathing. My eyes widened when in front of me, Liam knelt down and held my hands in his. This wasn't the end of my shock. 

When I looked up, my heart dropped when I saw him crying. 

Liam was crying. 

His tears streamed glisteningly down his cheeks and I gasped inwardly. 

"Iris, I know it's hard for you. You were hurt deeply and I was the reason for that hurt. But Iris, can't you see? I'm hurting too. So freakin bad. I see you and our kids everyday and I have to pinch myself to make sure that it's real. That you're here now." he pauses, but his tears still fall. 

"I haven't forgotten the pain that I caused you, nor your family. Seeing myself in front of a mirror, I see someone who ruined your life because I was trying to prove myself. Heck, I could never forget that I hurt you. I wouldn't let myself forget that. I would eternally punish myself for doing so. I was so stupid. I'm so, so sorry, Iris. I know you'll find it hard to believe, but I regret everything I did. If I could, I'd undo the past. Even if it means not meeting and knowing you." 

I was stunned. I let every word sink and replay everything he said. He didn't sound like he was lying. He was being... truthful. 

Instead of being hurt, my chest felt lightweight. As if I was relieved. I guess, in one part, I am because I finally got to hear something from him. But damn, this is so depressing. I can clearly see where this is headed. 

We stayed silent for a while, we just held hands like we didn't want this moment to end. Because finally, after all these years, I could feel peace between us. There wasn't any lingering tension, remorse, anger, hurt. For the first time in a long time, it felt like the old us. I held his hands tighter and he presses small kisses behind them, making me smile ever so slightly. 

I hoped that this moment just last forever, but all good things must come to an end and someone must end it. 

"So, what now?" I ask, hating myself for destroying the moment, although I knew my answer to this. His eyes snapped to me and I watch him. He thought for a while, but his gaze still stayed on me, and finally spoke. 

"We could try to make this work out." he said wishfully, but I understood that even he knew my answer. I smiled sadly. I wiped his tears with my hands while he watched me do so. 

"I think we already tried out that option, Liam." 

"Any other options?" 

I stayed silent for a while before opening my mouth. 

"We'll be staying with my dad for a while." 

-----

SO

As promised, here you lovelies go!! I think I'll be updating everyday until New Years *cue hands clapping* YEY!!! 

So how do you like the direction of the story so far? 

I'd love to hear from y'all also! ☺️

Oh and if you are into wolf stories, please do check my wolf story entitled "The Aplha Broke the Omega" and if you're into chicklit stuffs, go check out "Perfectly Impefect."

Don't forget to vote, comment and share! 

Y'all have a good day!

Love y'all always, 

-sky 💕