Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Iris Williams

"Cancel all my meetings this week and move them to another time." Liam instructed his secretary as he pressed the elevator button. The poor girl seemed stunned by his instruction and quickly stood up from her chair. Her eyes widened behind her round glasses, she seemed quite baffled already.

"But, you have a meeting with sir Ezra in half an hour, sir." she reminded him. However, he turns to her, exasperated. He didn't seem too patient while I thought of the name she mentioned. Ezra... One of Liam's closest friends.

"Tell him that I have an emergency." he says simply as the elevator door closes, leaving the girl looking perplexed and hopeless, thinking about the amount of work she was about to do. I'm sure her job wasn't easy, especially now that she has to reschedule a week worth of conferences.

There was an awkward silence in the elevator, and none of us dared to break it. He was thinking, I could feel it since he was emitting a very dark and serious aura around him.

After telling him of how Jace got abducted and all the weird things that happened prior, he only nodded and grabbed his car keys from his desk and told me to lead him to Jacob and Jamie. There was a ring in the elevator, indicating that we reached the ground level. Liam didn't say a word and exited the elevator, taking fast-paced steps in which I struggled to match. I'm a rather short person, so one step of his can be counted as two steps for me.

I tried to match his giant steps, but I was still being left behind. Staring at his back and trying to chase him, so many memories were coming back to me.

I always thought that I would always trust him, that no matter what, I'll be with him forever. Of course I knew that life wouldn't be simple and that maybe here and there we'd have problems, but back then, I thought that we'd overcome everything together. That I'll stay strong beside him and be with him through it all.

But when the truth comes out, that everything was just a lie from the very beginning, how do you still keep the same trust? How do you keep your promises? How do you stop from hurting?

"Is it true? Is this all true?" I asked Liam, tears streaming down my face like waterfalls. It was so hard to get the words out, but I somehow found the courage to utter them. His eyes widened for a bit and looked away, letting go of a heavy sigh. I walked towards him and put my hand on his face, making him look back to me. However, this time, his face was expressionless, his eyes turned cold. He never looked at me like that, he never looked at me like I was one of his pestering business associates. "Say something, anything. Tell me they're lies, that what we have is real. Tell me you love me, Liam." I sobbed. I waited for him to say something, but minutes passed and all he did was stare emotionlessly into my eyes. There was no warmth in them like the warmth I always saw. Now, all I see is a stranger looking down at me for being a fool and playing into his hands. His coldness hit me like knives stabbing my heart over and over again. I had my answer. "Liam? S-say something please. Lie to me, I will believe it. I love you, Liam. I really do." This time, he lowered his head and took my hand off his face and my other hand off his arm. He turned around and started to walk away, but before he could get out of the door, I stopped him and he slowly turned to me.

"Tell me. Did you ever love me?" I asked. There was a long pause. A very long pause as he only stared into my eyes. I was trying to find any emotion in them, any sign that could indicate that he did indeed loved me, that maybe it wasn't all a lie, that he felt something for me too. I made sure not to miss any changes in his glint, because maybe it will be my proof. But I saw nothing. It was like looking onto a porcelain doll's eyes, empty and emotionless. Instead, he smirked amusedly, and he had a haughty and arrogant cold look as he looked down at me.