Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Iris Parker

For a moment, my tears stopped to savour the moment. Liam's scent brought back so much memories that I've been desperately trying to forget. His arms that enveloped me made me feel secure, relieved and made me feel like I was... home. His embrace made my heart skip a beat in which I immediately mentally chastised myself in.

'No, we've talked about this before, Iris. Remember what he did to you, to your family, Iris. Don't be stupid.' I told myself, but despite that warning, I raised my arms and hugged him back.

Right now, my hate for him didn't matter, my anger for him subsided at the loss of our son. His embrace made me feel like everything was going to be alright now, I felt somewhat comforted and as if on cue, my tears started to fall again and I sobbed continuously. "Pl-please..." I said in between my sobs, tightening my hug. "Please b-bring him back to me... Bring me back my Jace." I managed to finish, fighting off the painful lump in my throat.

Liam didn't say anything for a while and only rubbed my back comfortingly before finally whispering : "Shh... I'll bring him back. I promise." he said so surely that all I could do was nod and cry. When I finally opened my eyes, I saw Jamie and Jacob at the doorframe of the kitchen watching us. Jamie was on the verge of tears, but he was trying so hard to fight them from falling.

I quickly broke free from Liam, in which he looked stunned at, but seeing me look behind him, he quickly understood that the two were right behind us. He turned to face the two and quickly went and picked Jamie off the ground.

"Is mommy still sad that Jace is not here?" Jamie asked as Liam carried him towards me while his other hand was holding on to Jacob who was biting his lower lip to stop the tears. My heart sank at his question as I approached him and wiped the tear that stubbornly fell.

"Yes, Jamie. Mommy's sad that Jace is not here, just like how I will be if you're not here too." I said. He nodded and thought for a while.

"But the man said that Jace will be back if you give him the key." Jamie continued. Liam and I shared glances at what he said. I suddenly found strength at the clue that he blurted.

"What? You saw the man that took him?" I asked, maybe too eagerly. His expression changed, understanding that the information he carried was valuable. Jamie slowly nodded, curling up in nervousness at his father's arms. "We were playing tag. Then a man came and said that he was taking us to daddy..." his voiced faded. I glanced back up to Liam, he was focusing solely on Jamie's statements, probably piecing everything in his head.

"And then?" Liam asked softly. Jamie looked up to him unsure and continued. "And then, Jace said we didn't have a daddy. But the man said that that he knew him and mommy was only lying to us. Jace said no and we were running away when the man took Jace. I asked him where he was taking him and he said they were just going to play hide and seek. And after, I couldn't find them anymore." he ended. I released the breath that I've been holding. Why didn't he tell me this before?

I haven't had any reports from the police yet, but I know that all the things Jamie said must have been still there, in the CCTVs, for sure. I felt hopeful at the newly found information.

"Do you remember how the man looked like? Does he have any tattoos?" Liam asked again. He seemed to have an idea of who took Jace. My heart was beating while awaiting for his answer. He thought for a while before cocking his head in confusion.

"Tattoo?" he asked.

"Yes, like— like a drawing." I answered hastily. He thought again and after a while, his face lit up.