Chapter 17

Min-soo is on his horse nearing the earth kingdom. The path widens before him leading toward the major bridge Ogi destroyed. As the trees clear away the charred remnants of the once massive bridge are seen adrift on the sides of the river. Groups of travelers and merchants gather on both sides talking to one another about it.

T-this is bad. This could be the reason we never heard back from the original messenger! He must've taken an alternate route... but where would that be?

Min-soo nudges his horse telling him to go forward to one of the groups of people. They stop talking and look over to him as he nears.

"Do you know what happened here?"  Min-soo asks an older merchant.

"They're saying this happened days ago. It must've been intentional because nothing else nearby has been burned." The merchant replies.

Min-soo looks around and sees that the man is right. Intentional?
"Is there another way in? Is there anyone taking people across with a boat?"

"The only other way is about a days journey East where the river shallows and calms enough to cross. Otherwise you'll be paying a lot of money to a brave sole that'll take you across those rapids. They'll tear any boat to shreds in a second. I don't know what we're going to do until they rebuild the bridge..." the merchant rubs the back of his head as he looks over to the roaring river.

"Thank you for all your help." Min-soo thanks him and begins heading East.

Part of me hopes I'm not too late and part of me hopes I am...

——————————————————————————

"Release her at once!" Kija shouts at the man.

"Don't follow me or I'll slit her throat!" The man shouts in panic as he makes a dash into the woods.

"Thunder beast what do we do?! We can't just let him run away with her!" Yoon asks afraid to move further.

"Jae-ha stay in the tree tops and wait for the opening. The rest of you stay here." Hak moves as fast as lightning and as silent as a cool breeze to follow them without being detected.

Jae-ha leaps to the tree tops trying to be as quiet as possible. He looks down and sees the man running with Yona over his shoulder and still holding the knife to her. I can't jump down in front of him. If he falls or slips at all Yona's done for... "Tch." He grits his teeth and looks for Hak while he tries to keep up with the man.

It feels like an eternity passes, but it's probably closer to an hour where they're still following him through the woods. I haven't seen Hak since this all began. I hope he's still down there or I'm all on my own now. He looks over and sees a river coming up. FINALLY! I can't take this much longer. This is getting really tiring. He'll have to stop n—- - *CRACKK-*

The branch Jae-ha landed on snaps under his foot. He smashes a few more on his way down trying desperately to catch himself. He lands on a heftier branch halfway down and finally comes to a stop.

*Crasshh*

The sound of branches smashing to the ground, leaves rustling, and birds flying away echoes through the quiet woods. The man halts and turns around to see what happened.

*THWAMM!*

*BOOM—-*

Jae-ha looks over to see Hak holding Yona and the man unconscious below a tree with an indent of his body on it. He jumps over in shock not completely sure on what just happened. "Hak, w-what just happened?"