Legacy | Chapter One

Copyright 2014 All Rights Reserved

Legacy By Claire Chilton

Chapter One | School's Out

Carla Mainston tried to ignore the panic bubbling in her stomach as the butch-looking nurse tightened a torque around her upper arm. She stared down at the lilac skin on her forearm for a moment before glancing up and wincing when the green-skinned nurse held up a vicious-looking syringe.

I hate needles.

"Screw this." Carla jumped out of her seat. "I've changed my mind."

The nurse pushed her back into the chair. "Don't be such a baby. It's just a vaccination."

Carla eyed the clear liquid as it rolled out of the tip of the needle and splashed onto the green linoleum floor. The liquid sizzled on the rubber.

"Vaccination for what? I'm pretty sure I don't need acid or whatever that crap is in my body." She struggled against the nurse's iron grip on her arm.

"It's perfectly safe. It's been sent here by the top scientists in the colony," the nurse said in a soothing voice.

"Oh well, that makes me feel much safer. Glad to hear that the experts in cleaning products have been working on it," Carla muttered as she tried to wriggle out of the chair.

"There's no need to over-react," the nurse said.

"I'm allergic!" Carla lied. "I'm a purple-skinned traveler from the colony of bullshittio, and er, if you put that in me, I'll die!"

"You've been at this school for five years, and I know your mother! Stop lying, and stop being such a baby about it. It'll hurt more if you struggle."

"Stop being such a psycho about it. It'll hurt less if you don't stick that thing in me," Carla cried as she kicked out, knocking the medical stand full of vials over in the process.

"I need some help in here!" The nurse called out to the closed door as she tried to pin Carla to her seat while still holding a syringe in her left hand.

The door burst open, and Carla scowled as her BSC teacher, Ms. Kaladin, rushed into the room. "Oh great, more sadists."

"Miss Mainston, there is no need for this. Why do you always have to make a big fuss over everything?" Ms. Kaladin's old, green face scowled down at her as she grabbed her free arm and held her down in the chair.

Through the open door, Carla saw a line of green-skinned students waiting for their injections. At the end of the corridor there was an older man speaking to a blue-skinned younger man.

"Help!" she cried, struggling against the two women that were holding her down.

No one paid her much attention other than the blue guy, who turned to stare at her. There was a frown on his face and concern in his eyes.

"Help me," she pleaded.

His frown deepened, and he made a move toward her, but the green man beside him gripped his arm and turned him to face him instead.

She felt a moment of hope blossom in her chest as the blue man shook off the green guy and turned, striding toward the open door with a look of determination on his handsome face.

She watched the green guy behind him scowl as the blue man headed towards her. She frowned with recognition as she stared at the green man.

Is that Lord Foamy? What the hell is he doing here?

Lord Foamy owned half of Derobmi. He was often seen at big events in the city. He was rarely seen in school corridors.

She shook her head. Who gives a crap, right now?