Chapter Six | Riots

Copyright 2014 All Rights Reserved

Detention By Claire Chilton

Chapter Six | Riots

Carla tugged against the leather restraints around her wrists, trying force her hands out of them, but they were too tight.

"Fighting really won't do you any good," Rancy said as he glanced over his shoulder at her while pulling vials out of the cupboard in front of him.

She scowled at him. In her experience, fighting had always done some good.

"You know what your problem is?" Rancy asked, seeming quite content to be working with a concoction of injections that he had planned for her.

"My current one appears to be you," Carla muttered, pulling her legs up in an attempt the break the bonds around her ankles.

"No, that's not it. Your problem is that you just can't handle life in this society. You can't be like everyone else, so you don't fit in." He turned and studied her. "Most of the inmates here don't really fit in anywhere. It's a bit more obvious with you. That skin color is a sure sign that you don't belong here, but the problem you all suffer from is that you don't really know that you don't belong anywhere." He walked toward her, holding a needle in his hand.

"You all want to be different, but don't you know that every life-form adapts to its environment. To survive here, you have to evolve." He rolled up her sleeve, and then tightened a torque around her arm.

"What, so I can be a douchebag like you?" Carla tried to pull away from him as he raised the syringe.

"So you can conform to become a useful member of socie-" He froze as a roar filled the air.

Carla smiled as Jeremy's voice exploded through the building, shaking it to its very foundations.

Rancy frowned at the Oog beside him. "Go and shut that kid up."

He turned back to face Carla. "That's your big plan, music? In what world can a bit of loud music help you?" He shook his head. "I don't think this is going to make you any more stupid than you already were."

He heart pounded as he lowered the needle toward her arm. No, no, no!

As she watched the Oog open the door, her eyes widened when he was flung backwards by a stream of kids bursting through the doorway, armed with mops and buckets.

A short kid with flaming red hair flung his bucket at Rancy, knocking the syringe out of his hand. He turned to charge at the boy, but three larger kids jumped on him. Yes!

"Help me!" Carla cried when she saw Lilly rush into the room. Lilly wore a gray bandana and a deadly scowl. Her eyes widened when she saw Carla. She ran over and quickly began untying the restraints. "I thought you were dead!" she cried.

"I nearly was," Carla muttered. She got off the bed and stood up, glaring down at Rancy.

He scowled up at her. "You're still doomed."

She towered over him. "You know what else evolution does?" she asked as the other kids hauled him onto the hospital bed she'd just vacated and bound him to it with the restraints. "It constantly adapts and changes. Welcome to the new world, asshat."