Chapter 8

The growl ricocheted from the walls, Lolita felt a warm feeling consume her. The frightened girl knew exactly what would come next, it all made sense now, this is when her world would come crashing down. The sweet smell, comprehendible pull and insatiable jealousy. She waited for the dreaded words to be spoken. Any moment now, she would be bound to this monster.

The anticipation grew thick in the air, the wolves besieging Damien directed their attention towards the princess, sympathy radiating from their lingering looks. Everyone knew what came next, Damien would claim her as his own. An Alpha of such darkness would not allow her to look at another man, let alone the tightening grip which Lolita now had on Vincent. It was rumoured that the terrifying wolf was denied the right to a mate, his cruel acts and horrific murders led the moon goddess to remove any link he had with another individual. And rightly so, no one deserved such a miserable and dangerous fate. A fate which the Princess was now cursed with.

A few steps and Damien was by her side. Unwillingly, Lolita loosened her grip on Vincent's shoulder, the feeling of fear had soon drained from her when the fiend approached Lolita. She no longer felt scared but rather a deep feeling of resent pulsated through her veins. She did something no one had dared to do that night. She looked straight into Damien's eyes, and for the first time, she realized how expressionless they were. The expected jealously and aggression were pacified with an empty pit of the icy ocean. Deep, cold, all-consuming but emotionless.

"Here" He spat. Passing her the same necklace her mother gave her this morning. "You dropped this" Lolita put her hand on her bare neck and gasped, it must have fallen while she was flustered and rambling through her secret garden. But how did he find it? She was pulled out of her thoughts through a forced cough, she turned to see the Alpha holding her necklace impatiently.

"Right" She replied clearly. The petite girl did not want to show any fear, despite her size, she carried more bravery than a whole pack itself, she was the daughter of the king of werewolves. Lolita was not going to let an arrogant little wolf with anger issues faze her. Well, perhaps not little, she thought, unconsciously admiring the figure which loomed over her. He handed her the necklace, his pale hand grazing hers, the small touch left a foreign feeling tingling through her body. When his hand returned to his side, Lolita missed the warmth of the sparks, she wanted to embrace him, hold onto his hand, fall into his beautiful ocean eyes, but instantly she pushed back these thoughts. They're only occurring because I'm practically programmed to be drawn to him, she told herself. This did not change who he was. Still, Lolita could not stop the small smile which appeared on her face. "Thank you" she mumbled. He nodded in acknowledgement and majestically strode away.

Imbecile. Emotions are a sign of weakness, you're in the presence of every respectable wolf possible, how could you make yourself so venerable?

"She's your mate, isn't she?" Broken from his inner turmoil, Damien faced the speaker but continued to stare at him blankly.

"Come on man. I saw the way you were drooling over her. And the way you were sniffing her necklace? I wouldn't be surprised if you memorised her scent."

"It doesn't matter." The Alpha projected this clearly and unfazed. She could never love a monster like me. These last words remained unspoken but painfully present in Damien's mind, attacking him and momentarily breaking down his emotionless facade. His glassy eyes erupted with sadness, jealousy and even fear. His Beta noticed this as he continued his attempt to read his friend who seemed captivated by Lolita's transactions with Vincent, his jaw clenching and unclenching with pent up rage.