48 : Car Ride No.3

Start from the beginning

Eva shifted yet again, stealing a glance at the driver. "You could've dropped me off first, you know? It would've been more convenient for you."

"Yeah, I know." Zarek shrugged despite the unwanted longing raging in his polluted veins. Yes, Zarek could've dropped her off first and then went home with Violet instead of dropping Violet, dropping Eva, and then driving back home, but he didn't. He wanted to spend as much time as he could with Eva, because no matter how shameless, selfish, and pathetic it sounded, Zarek wanted her all for himself.

Why can't she understand? Zarek chose not to answer that question, since it wouldn't help his cause.

The damned jean shorts rose higher on the her thighs due to sitting, giving Zarek an exclusive view of the smooth skin he had fantasized of touching ever since he laid eyes on Eva three years ago. Her pale shoulders and exposed neck made Zarek want to caress every inch until he found her sweet spot, her bare arms made Zarek crave a pinch from the excess fat. Eva was a curvy girl, and Zarek loved every square of her. Zarek's electric green eyes dropped to her full, white crop top. He got too into it that he almost crashed his precious Mustang if Eva didn't speak.

"Why did you hit Justin the other time?" Her voice was like an angelic melody to the devil's ears - he knew he should end it because it could end him otherwise, but at the same time it was too beautiful he couldn't resist basking in it.

Zarek snapped his eyes back on the road, driving with a speed relatively slow. "Hm?"

"You hit Justin in Hunter's party a week ago," Eva sighed, looking away and balling her delicate hands on her lap. "Why?"

Zarek shook his head - from all the things she could've asked me, she chose that. Zarek wasn't about to complain since he wasn't looking up to discussing his actions either way. "You really don't know what's going on with Trudy," Zarek thought the girls were 'best friends for ever' but it seemed like Trudy was too proud to admit what happened to her, not to mention the fact that she was so jealous of her friend that she even helped him to be with her. Zarek knew he was shaming his own self, but no true friend did that.

"You shouldn't trust her." Zarek settled for an answer.

Eva cocked her head, her auburn eyebrows raised. Zarek knew what that meant - here comes the painful honestly. "Oh, really?" Eva hissed, "Who should I trust then? You?"

The muscle in Zarek's jaw ticked. His fingers curled around the steering wheel, trying too hard to contain himself from snapping at her twice in one day. Eva was either too brave or too stupid for her own good, and it infuriated Zarek so much. Did I really miss that? Zarek must've been delusional when he thought so.

Once Evangeline noticed they were getting closer to her neighborhood, she cleared her throat. "Can you park away from my house?" she said, the first blush in so long tinting her freckled cheeks, "Mom won't exactly tolerate this, she agreed of Trudy dropping me off, not you."

Zarek did as she requested, pulling a few houses away from her own. He turned the engine off, fully facing her and noticing that she had less makeup than in the beginning of the night - good, she looks better like this anyways. "Does she know about me?" because if Hannah did... well, fuck.

Eva forced her painted lips into a smile, ignoring his question. "Thank you for the ride," her monotone voice said, although Zarek could tell she was too polite to just sprint away from him even after everything he put her through. Eva turned around to avoid the intensity of Zarek's gaze and to get out of the car when Zarek's devil stepped in - he locked the car.

Eva gasped, whipping her head around to look at Zarek. "What are you doing?"

Good question, I have no idea. Zarek didn't care. What was the point of holding back when everything was ruined between him and Eva - he bullied and assaulted her, she moved on and was dating the perfect guy, and soon they both would graduate highschool and never see each other again. With that last thought, Zarek called for all of his impulsiveness and leaned towards her.

Immediately, her sweet scent engulfed Zarek into bitter bliss. Zarek ignored Eva's weary eyes and grasped her short, red hair, liking how it fit in his hands. Zarek let out an involuntary groan, lust crossing his facial features, as his hand rested on Eva's neck - feeling her quickened heartbeats that matched Zarek's - and pulled her face at him.

It doesn't matter, Zarek told himself, This isn't her first kiss - you already stole that - this will be goodbye. The hectic journey with Eva was nearing its end, despite never going for the real thing and sticking for the mini-version. It was like going to an attraction part and riding The Carousel when they could've went for The Rollercoaster, or renting a race car just to drive it through traffic, or camping in the backyard when they could've went to the mountain. Zarek had to accept that this wasn't leading anywhere, and it wasn't like he was one for commitment anyways. They both needed to move on, but not before Zarek having his closure. He truly hoped Eva would kiss him back, but something told him that even if she didn't, Zarek would still deepen it and make it into something more.

Eva cringed away from his touch. "No," she pleaded, her voice breaking from fear. Zarek could read the regret of accepting his ride since it was written on her forehead.

"Whatever," Zarek had to keep his bulge in check and leaned back, stepping away from her intoxicating perfume. "I'll never understand you."

Zarek was surprised at how fast Eva built herself, glaring at him despite the situation not being in her favor. "You will never understand me?" she snapped, "I'm the one who has to endure the confusion of your actions." Her hand brushed the red bangs away, revealing her grimaced eyebrows. "The second I think I figured you out, you do something completely different. I'm tired of having to deal with your baggage, Zarek, I'm done."

Zarek had to laugh at that. "You're done, alright, dating that wannabe ginger. I knew you had a slut in there, you just needed a wuss to unleash it."

Eva took a deep breath, palming her distressed forehead. "What do you want from me?" she whispered, sounding so broken it hurt Zarek's ill heart, "What did I ever do that upset you so much? Why don't you just leave me alone?"

"I just want to know one thing," Zarek clenched his jaw, his teeth pressed against each other it was almost painful. "Why him and not me?"

Zarek hated how whiny and pathetic he sounded voicing his inner insecurities, but he needed to know because had been wondering about it nonstop ever since he knew she had a boyfriend. Zarek had been after her for so long - ever since The Spring Ball the previous year - yet Ashton came and snatched her away just like that.

What is it that Ashton has that I can't possibly provide?