13 : The Spring Ball

Evangeline had many acquaintances in Dessertville High

It might have a lot of things to do with her angelic and freckled face, flawless body, and her blurted honesty. However, Eva liked to believe that her sweet persona and warm heart was the secret behind her popularity.

Or perhaps it was just because she was the biology teacher's daughter.

Either way, being known wasn't easy, not when every word and move she did was put under the microscope. The most thing Eva despised about popularity was the rumors - ah, the rumors. Eva didn't know where exactly to start on that one.

Eva knew she must be grateful, some people had it worse than her. She didn't mind people sharing details about her life, really, but what she did mind was how they twisted the truth, bending it to meet their dramatic hunger for gossip. Although, sometimes, Eva had to give them points for creativity.

Perhaps the rumor that was the furthest fetched that could've ended her life if her mother heard of, was how she was dating Ashton Quinton. According to the students of Dessertville High, the couple lost their virginity together, were sharing a secret relationship, and had a baby that was put into adoption. Apparently, Eva gave birth of the said child and moved to Dessertville for a fresh start.

Frankly, Eva lost her hope a long time ago of finding any reason in their useless blabber.

As Eva stared into Ashton's light blue eyes, ginger hair, and mesmerizing smile, she could understand why people shipped them. Both of them had similar hair color - although Eva's hair was redder and Ashton's was more on the orange side- both of them were popular despite being internal nerds, and both of them were nice, a bit shy, and smart.

They were the golden couple, quite literally.

And despite the romantic rumors, what Eva and Ashton shared was nothing more than friendship; that friend she only talked to when she accidentally ran into. Acquaintances was more like it.

It was Saturday's evening; the Spring Ball's night. Eva showed up, once again, alone to the school event. Despite boys constantly chasing her, she was too coolheaded to agree, definitely not because her mother would use her biological knowledge and decapitate her along with her date.

Eva ran into Ashton while looking for Trudy in the crowd of students that attended the Spring Ball. Eva thought it would be rude if she acted as if she hadn't recognized Ashton's light blue eyes among the crowd. Besides, Ashton was fun to be around, amusing, and a gentleman - the perfect recipe for the perfect guy.

Ashton sucked on his straw, the red liquid on his clear, plastic cup was emptying. "How are you doing?" Ashton asked, genuine concern in his light blue eyes. "We haven't talked in a while."