30 : Ruined Friendships

Start from the beginning

Zarek followed Ryan's rusty Toyota all the way to Trudy's house, keeping a fair distance so they wouldn't notice him. Zarek didn't care about Trudy's drugged behavior since he was too occupied following the interaction between Eva and Ryan inside the car.

He watched as Ryan ranted - probably about his pathetic feelings. Zarek's eyes widened when Ryan leaned in - is he going to fucking kiss her? If Ryan got to press his lips on her then Zarek was going to fucking kill them.

Ryan's disgusting hand stroked Eva's hair, his disgusting fingers brushing at her silky strands. It took all of Zarek's common sense to stay in the car and not drag Eva to her house by her hair because he had no right - she wasn't his sister or girlfriend to get so protective over her, so why the fuck was he?

Zarek waited, his lean body on needles, until Ryan finally drove off and Trudy and Eva were inside the mansion. Zarek pulled away from his hiding spot and went after a running down Toyota, honking like crazy after Ryan.

The Toyota driver noticed the angry Mustang behind him and, almost hesitantly, parked his old car. Zarek stopped with a holt, getting out of the running car and reaching Ryan before he got to step out of his vehicle.

"What the fuck was she doing in your car, Ryan?" Zarek hissed, towering over his former best friend.

Ryan wasn't fazed in the least, glaring back at Zarek. "Was I supposed to leave her in the street?" Despite his anger, Ryan was discouraged to talk with him; his forest green eyes were dead, his eyebrows were frowned, and his cheered voice was flat - almost as if he got his heart broken. Good.

"Why are you so obsessed with her anyways?" As if Ryan grew more balls than he owned, his sad face turned angry as he looked up at Zarek's accusative gaze. "What did she ever do to you that made you hate her so much? I heard about all the bullying, Zarek, so it better be a good reason."

"That's none of your business."

"No, it is my business." Ryan took a step forward, forcing Zarek to back away. "She's my friend, I care about her."

"Yeah, exactly, she's your friend," Zarek smirked, tucking his hands in his pockets as he enjoyed the triumph. "And that's all what you'll ever be, so stop playing boyfriend and wake up Ryan."

Ryan's eyelid twitched, his straight jaw tightened. Zarek knew he ticked him off but - unlike Zarek who was driven by his impulsiveness - Ryan controlled himself. "Look at you, so desperate for attention," Ryan's voice was filled with venom and hatred - a sound so strange coming out of him. "You think that if you hurt her you'll stop loving her, but you're so deep you can't find your way out."

"No," Zarek interrupted because love was a feeling and Zarek didn't support that.

Ryan nodded, getting the message because even though him and Zarek weren't on the best terms, he was still respectful enough to know when to drop it. Zarek didn't know whether to respect him or pity him for that.

However, the next words coming out of Ryan's mouth were the last thing Zarek expected from his sentimental best friend.

"Why don't you leave Evan and fuck your stepmom instead?" Ryan's lip curled, the smile nothing like the warm ones he used to offer. "Doesn't that mean you secondhand fucked your dad, though? That's pretty messed up if you ask me-"

Zarek punched Ryan. All what it took to drop Ryan on the ground like the pussy he really was was one punch - pathetic. Zarek glared down at his former best friend, an unfamiliar feeling too similar to regret mixed with satisfaction stirred in the bottom of his nonexistent stomach. "Your sister won't save you now."

Zarek could swear he caught a few tears rolling down Ryan's soon-to-be black eye even though Ryan covered it on instinct. Zarek turned around, jogging back to his abandoned car. He couldn't stand to see Ryan's downfall because even though they weren't best friends Zarek still knew his limits - yet that didn't stop him from mouthing you off and you from punching him.

"W-we're no longer friends!" Ryan rushed after Zarek, barely standing on his wobbly feet.

Despite the painful lump in Zarek's chest, Zarek forced the upcoming words; "Weren't in the first place."

wanna see a magic trick?

poof! ten years of friendship is vanished.