Plans and Promises

"Are you kidding me? This toddler with a pacifier is your boss? You thought I'm gonna fall for this prank?" you laugh while tapping your brother on the back.

"I know how you feel, I reacted the same way when I was introduced to him. But I' m serious." your brother answered but he also giggled as you both whispered to one another. This also made you confuse if he is joking or not but you know your brother won't joke at a time like this.

You look at the toddler sitting on a big swivel chair and a big table was in front of him, piles of documents scattered on it. There was a big screen behind him too.

The toddler coughed, slightly embarrassed with your reaction. Shuichi, who was earlier revealed as Kurama was standing near the toddler. The toddler then spoke with the pacifier still stuck on his mouth. "My name is Koenma, Prince of spirit world. Nice to meet you (Y/N). Don't be deceive with what you see, I'm hundred years older than you."

He then continued, "Your brother became a spirit detective trainee not too long ago. But today will be his first case along with the current spirit detective Yusuke."

Every word he said confused you even more. "I'm back Master Koenma." A cute blue haired girl in pink Kimono suddenly popped out the door. "Oh! You must be (Y/N), it's a pleasure to meet you. I'm Botan by the way" she said in a cheerful voice. "Did master Koenma already told you that we will need your cooperation on this case? You'll get to meet the others too!" She became more and more excited explaining this and that.

"Botan!" Koenma shouted at her. "I'm sorry master Koenma. I just wanted to warn her that she couldn't disagree or else her memories might get erased and besides if this mission becomes successful, she can get information about her past." She continued to mindlessly spit all the information while apologizing.

Koenma just faced palmed himself but Kurama looked so serious. " Koenma, isn't this too dangerous for her? Why is it necessary for her to be a part of this? It's clear that the perpetrators are not just demons." He questioned the toddler.

"I know this may sound off, but we have no choice. Some of them contacted us, demanding (Y/N) in exchange for your human classmates. If we don't agree, they can get killed and worst they will try to kidnap more innocent people." He explained.

"That's true! In relation to that, we did a little research about the background of (Y/N) and those who kidnapped your classmates. It appears that their real target was (Y/N) but since her powers shut off today due to unknown reasons, they mistook her as Maya who has a strong spiritual sense. The human boy Justin tried to save him and got kidnapped as well." Again, Botan interrupted her boss with her cheerie voice.

You looked at your brother, worried with the information you just heard. Are they the ones who attacked your previous school? The ones that you sensed in your new school? What could their real motive be? You also felt a bit guilty for your classmates who got entangled with the mess you always bring wherever you go.

"Koenma, my sister just got sick today because her powers are still growing. She doesn't know how to control them yet. I don't know if she can manage to be a part of this." Van expressed his worries.

"How can spirit world just put her life at stake? And what about erasing her memories? I assume you have information about her that she needs to know first." Kurama continued to question demanding for an explanation. He sounds a lot more worried than your brother.

"Very well, I need you to watch this video for you to better understand." he pushed the remote and the screen went on. A huge and scary looking creature appeared on the screen. It claimed to know the information about your life. It also mentioned that if you won't appear in 3 days, they will kill the hostages and will continue to kill more humans. He said that you possess a very special but dangerous power and they know the key how you can control and better understand it's nature. If you will cooperate, no one will get hurt. They warned you against making any contact with the winged creatures that may try to trick you into an agreement and steal your powers and erase your memories forever.

After the scary creature finished talking, another video started. This time it was one of the winged creatures. It's thunderous voice was deep and intimidating. It said that you came from a clan not of humans or demons but a clan above them who were endowed with tremendous power. Due to strict rules, they can only come to human world on occasion. They said they wanted to give you information and make a deal.

The video ended with instructions on when and where to meet them. Koenma sat quietly , with his hands under his chin, lost in deep thought.

"How do you propose to deal with this Koenma?" The red head asked.

You were occupied with the thoughts of the possibility of knowing your past after long time of searching. You felt excitement and fear rising inside you.

"We already have a plan. But for the meantime, (Y/N) should stay somewhere safe right now."

While Koenma is still talking a panicking blue Ogre knocked and entered the room with documents on his hand. He said there's an emergency in human world and some cities are under attack.

You all rushed back to human world. Your brother insisted that you should go somewhere and hide while he deals with the problem with Yusuke and the others. He assured you, he will be safe and you will meet his new team mates soon.

Kurama held your hand. "I'll bring her somewhere safe." He promised your brother which the latter agreed without hesitation. Since you are still processing everything, you did not complain but soon after your brother left, you realized you are still holding hands with him.

You tried to pull away your hand but he held it tighter. "I can't let you go away this time. Remember my promise in the hospital?" he asked, looking straight in your eyes.

You avoided eye contact. "What promise?" Pretending not to remember that time when you hugged each other and you felt electrified.

"I'll help you remember." He pulled you into his arms and said. "I promised to do anything to repay your kindness..."

The memory you can never forget came rushing back to you as clear as day light. You felt the same sensation you felt back then. The adrenalin rushing, the uncontrollable heart beat and the undescribable feeling inside you.

Warmth envelope your entire body as he hugged you tighter. The same scent he had back then smells sweeter this time. His warm body feels so comforting and his soft voice soothes your soul and at the same time it wreaks havoc in your thumping heart.

"I want to make another promise." he released you from his arms and examined your now crimson face which you tried to hide by looking away. He then, gently lifted it with his fingers under your chin. You comply and stared back onto his hypnotizing emerald orbs.

Oh my, he's blushing too?! He looks so hot! Your heart made a drum roll in excitement.

He held both of your hands, not loosing eye contact. "I promise to always be by your side and vow never to do anything to hurt you again. I'm pained when you are." he sincerely spoke.

What does he mean by hurt me again? Did he hurt me before? Is he aware of my feelings?

"I know this might not be the right time for this, but something tells me this is the only time and chance I have. I won't let it slip away. You don't need to promise me anything but I want to know what you're thinking right now if you permit."

You stared at him silently as he waited for your response. The sun was slowly setting that painted the sky with orange, pink and yellow hues. As the light started to fade away, your feelings started to become clearer.

"I trust you Kurama. I'm happy you're with me." you answered and your smile said it all. You gave him your hand and the two of you continue going towards your destination.

You are completely unaware that someone is watching you from afar. "I'm glad Kurama is moving according to the plan." that someone spoke. "We need to make sure everything will be executed exactly as we discussed. Kurama holds the key to this, he should not fail."

A/N: Happy New Year guys! Sorry for any errors and redundant words. English is not my first language. I don't have time to edit or proofread this too much but I really wanted to publish a chapter. Don't hesitate to pinpoint some errors. Thanks everyone. Have an awesome New Year!