Chapter Six - Doctor's Note

Start from the beginning

"I'm out," he said, showing Daniel the empty bag.

"Already?" Daniel asked incredulously. "You've gone through five bags in two days..."

"I can start going through people if you'd like," Cain said shortly.

He noticed how uncomfortable his comment made Daniel and he shook his head.

"It's her," he admitted.

"What do you mean?"

"It's her scent," Cain clarified, turning to look at Daniel.

He could tell that Daniel was no more enlightened.

"Have you ever been completely content, and then someone starts eating and you're suddenly starving?" Cain asked him.

Daniel thought for a moment, trying to gauge where Cain was going with his analogy.

"I satisfy myself only with what I need and then I stand next to her and this need, this lust, for blood washes over me."

"So she makes you... hungry?"

Cain sighed and rolled his eyes.

"Horny?" Daniel asked, trying again to guess.

"Somewhere in between," Cain said.

Daniel raised his eyebrows.

"That's somewhat concerning seeing as the two shouldn't go together..."

Cain raised the stainless steel cup to his lips and took a long swig of the thick, bitter liquid.

"I'll make sure you get some more of that," Daniel said, backing away.

He began to walk out of the room before Cain stopped him.

"What did you come up here for?"

"To tell you she was awake," Daniel said. "But I think you might need to finish that and compose yourself first, though."

- - -

Ella's P.O.V.

"Thank you."

I took the steaming mug from Daniel before he sat down at the table in front of me.

"What are you doing up so early?" He asked.

"I'm a morning person."

He scowled.

"No thanks."

I faked a smile as I took a sip of my coffee.

I couldn't tell him I hadn't slept. My bed would have fit four of me comfortably. It was so large that it swallowed me up. It was cold and empty.

Because I couldn't sleep, I had been up most of the night catching up on the schoolwork I had missed.

I was also contemplating over the hundreds of sheets of paper I had combed through in Cain's office. I was beginning to lose confidence in the fact that we would find my grandfather.