Chapter Eight

Gon set the unconscious Jack into the back of a guarded van, taking in a deep breath before exhaling heavily, quickly pulling on the clothes one of the agents had set out for him. A pair of warm sweatpants and a sweatshirt, both grey and boring, not something he'd normally wear, but he was grateful for finally having something to wear.

    After he had changed, the closed up the van, ensuring that it was locked up, and gave it a hard knock, which was the signal for the driver to go. A little tacky, but what works works.

    He watched the van pull away, and looked over the site, seeing a small group of agents crowded around, looking around the area for something he just couldn't figure out. It's not like they were still looking for him or anything like that... but he digressed.

    As he scanned the group, his eyes laid on a tuft of white hair sitting on top of one of the shipping containers, watching over like a hawk.

    Giving one more once-over, making sure no one was gonna come running towards him to ask questions, he walked towards Killua. He had been a little surprised by Killua showing up, but not as much as he should've been. Maybe relieved was what he was feeling. Killua showing up meant that he had been able to reach in the assassin's supposed stone cold heart and help him secure a life that didn't depend on the death of others.

    "You seem kinda blanked out there Gon," he heard Killua's silky smooth voice quip at him when he hadn't gotten closer.

    He huffed and shook his head, looking down at the ground trying to control the smile threatening to capture his face before looking back at Killua. "I'm sure you wouldn't be awake if you had just been thrown into a basement and chained to a wall."

    "You're right, last time that happened to me, I don't remember being so happy either. I'll give you that one," he smiled before shuffling over and patting the spot beside him. Gon promptly jumped up to sit beside him, only a few inches of space between them.

    "Mighty nice of you to offer a spot. Thought you were gonna pull a knife from your ass and throw it at me,"

    Killua snorted, shoulders rising up to his ears as a smile broke onto his face. "Can't say I've ever pulled one out of my ass,"

    "Really?" Gon faked surprise, trying to maintain an innocent face. "I swear I've seen you do it a few times. I distinctly remember thinking 'Shit, that be a great party trick.'"

    "Nah, it would, quite literally, be a pain in the ass."

    With that, they both broke out into laughter, Gon folding over, trying to maintain some sort of balance as his body quaked from the laughter, and KIllua slapping a hand over his mouth in an attempt to muffle to sound.

    The laughter died off after a minute or so, leaving the two to sit in silence, letting the wind brush against them as they watched the team below progress with whatever the hell they were doing.

Gon couldn't help but think nice it was to just sit and laugh with someone. The last time he had done this had been years ago when he had been sitting with Mito, before...

"I wanted to thank you,"

Gon nearly snapped his neck when he heard Killua. It had just been barely audible to him as if it was something that Killua was afraid of saying, something that would've shattered the world if it were to ever reach anybody's ears.

"What?"

Killua let out a small huff, puffing out his cheeks, turning his head towards Gon, but not making eye contact, rather, staring at his hands. "I wanted to say thank you for... reaching out an helping me. It was nice to have someone there. I know it was your job and you were just doing it because of that, but it was nice to feel like someone cared."