Broken Pieces (edited)

Jungkook hums a merry tune as Seokjin grumbles. "I don't get why we have to go to this fancy dinner party. I don't plan on smiling until my cheeks hurt."

"Just accept the fact you're going to this dinner whether or not you like it. You should be glad I didn't do anything too bad to convince you to come." Jungkook grins, a mischievous twinkle in his eye. 

"You are truly Satan himself." Seokjin sighs. He recollected the memory of him threatening to ruin his precious limited edition Mario Plushie (credits to @jinternal lol that idea is too creative for me) He even snipped a bit off to scare Jin, and some of the stuffing even fell out.

"I'm not Satan, I just know how to persuade people to do things," Jungkook argued. "Which might be evil but it has to be done." 

 "My plushie did not deserve that. It was a limited edition." Seokjin rolled his eyes. 

"But I deserve to be brutally ignored?" Jungkook asked. Something had obviously shifted between them, but on the plus side, at least Seokjin wasn't completely ignoring his existence.

"That doesn't have to do with anything!" Seokjin argued. 

"You haven't denied it." 

"I was just tired that day," Seokjin said it as if it had just explained everything perfectly. 

"Oh my, you were so tired that you couldn't even lift your fingers to press some buttons? You didn't call, message me, or anything like that! And now you'll just give me a crappy excuse?" 

"Couldn't have put it any better." For once, it's Jungkook's turn to roll his eyes. 

"Can't you at least tell me what happened?" Jungkook was genuinely confused. He thought things were going perfectly. Seokjin seemed to somewhat acknowledge that they were soulmates, which was progress in Jungkook's eyes.

"I told you, I was just tired." Seokjin's voice grew sharper. 

"If you say so. Just enjoy yourself at the party, ok?" Jungkook said, sighing as if the air leeched the fight out of him. "It's all I ask of you." 

Seokjin gives a nod. "I'll try."  

Jungkook manages a small smile. "Let's do this then."

___

"Taehyung!" Jungkook rushed over to hug the familiar blond-haired boy. "It's been a while."

Seokjin tensed, looking Taehyung up and down. "Who is he?" 

"I'm Jungkook's friend." Taehyung gave him a boxy smile and reached out his hand for him to shake. When Seokjin ignored it, his grin faltered a little. "We uh, met in our late high school years." 

"I see. Well, I'm Seokjin. A colleague." Seokjin explained. 

Noticing the awkward tension, Jungkook began talking to Taehyung. "How's Hoseok?"

Taehyung's face brightened up immediately. "Oh, he's doing great! Actually..we are doing great."

Jungkook looked at him in surprise. "You finally had the guts to ask him out?"

"It was the other way around, but yeah." Taehyung grinned even brighter.

"I'll leave you two to it." Seokjin felt a warm flush in his cheeks and he walked away. 

___

After a couple of shots to the point Seokjin got tipsy, a light-skinned girl walked up to him. "Hello!" She said, her smile wide and opening.  

"Hey." Seokjin gave a small smile.  

She stuck her hand out to shake. Seokjin gladly accepted it. "I'm Angelina. What's your name?" 

"I'm Seokjin." 

"Oh, that's a nice name. Who invited you here?"

"A friend. You probably won't know him, but his name is Jungkook."

Angelina clapped her hands in delight. "I do know him! He's a friend of Taehyung's, and he used to be my classmate in high school."

"Oh really? That must have been..interesting." Seokjin said sarcastically.

"He was, actually. Funny, quite cute, and charming. He used to be popular with some of the girls. But he never really dated. I guess he was shy. He was always nervous around girls he didn't know very well." She shrugged. 

"Doesn't sound like him now." Seokjin smiled.

"It's been a while since we talked, to be honest," Angelina said. "We went to different colleges."

"Can you tell me more about him?" Seokjin inquired, curiosity peaking his interest. 

"Yeah, sure," Angelina grinned. "Well, there was this one time.." 

___

Jungkook assessed the sight before him. 

Seokjin was having a heavenly time, which was great. 

Well, who wouldn't enjoy having a conversation with a lovely girl? 

Seokjin didn't even seem to care about Jungkook. Even as coworkers, he had never greeted him and they never really got along.

So when they became soulmates, Jungkook was miffed. The universe just decided two of the most incompatible people "completed" each other as soulmates. 

But Jungkook had really tried to get Seokjin to like him. And now, just like that, all the time he'd ever spent with Seokjin was really tossed away just to this girl he barely even knew? 

"He's your soulmate, huh," Jungkook gave Taehyung a look of bemusement. "I saw his name on your wrist and connected the dots." 

"Yeah, but he doesn't believe in soulmates." Jungkook smiled weakly. 

Taehyung patted his shoulders. "I think he just needs a reason to believe. I mean, even I was doubtful of it. The day I saw Hoseok's name on my wrist, I had no idea who he was. Then he literally waltzed out of nowhere and I slowly ended up falling for him."    

"What about him made you feel like that?"  

"His smile was what really got me hooked I think. Then it became the little stuff, like the little head tilts when he's in disbelief, or seeing his dimples pop out after I tell him a joke," Taehyung gave a soft smile of endearment. "I think Seokjin likes you, Jungkook. You two aren't quite there to being in love, but that stuff takes time. Just give him some space and try talking to him."  

Jungkook smiled back. "Thanks, Taehyung."

P.S. Sorry for the super late update. I just keep on procrastinating, and I haven't had much inspiration. Sorry y'all, I know it sucks when I only update once a month. I'll try to update twice or at least manage some progress for another chapter. Hopefully I can squeeze in a chapter by New Years.

Speaking of holidays, I hope you enjoyed Christmas or Hannakuh or Kwanzaa or any other holidays I haven't mentioned :) 

As always, I hope you enjoyed this chapter and have an amazing day y'all :D

5/6/19 P.P.S Did some editing ;)

8/14/20 P.P.P.S     I've read over this a couple times over the past year and I am too embarrassed to actually continue on for now so I guess I'm going to be rewriting some stuff.