First stage denial ;)

Arthur's P.O.V

Later that afternoon~

"Gather our most trustworthy knights. We will perform a full sweep of the nearest beaches"
An odd request and I can tell my men agree but if there is a chance Merlin is alive then I am more than willing to drop everything to save him.

"Are you sure he's actually alive?" My wife inquires. I can tell she just wants the best for us but I couldn't help but feel hurt at her test of our trust.
"I am 99.99% sure of it," I conclude.

She sighs and turns, knowing that now that I'm going, no one can stop me.

Leon informs me that we are ready to set off and so we do so.

I send an even amount of men to each of the nearest beaches. I head west with Leon and Gwaine. My most trusted men.

Our track did not consist of too many problems. The main ones usually from me constantly stopping to investigate a rock I saw with the same shade as Merlin's coat or I thought I heard someone and would lead us off course.

Due to this we ended up arriving at our destination 3 and a half hours later.

The beach was empty and held no sign of any recent occupants. I guessed he wasn't here and suggested we head south. We were just leaving until Leon pointed out a misshaped dune of sand.

It kinda looked like a frail body lying on its side. Kind of like Merlin...

I waste no time hurrying to uncover the sand both hoping he was and wasn't underneath.

Sure enough my desperate digging stopped when my hand got caught on a piece of tan fabric. I froze.
Gwaine and Leon immediately knew why and sprang into action as I was basically incapable.

My breath hitched. I wish I'd move. Come on. For Merlin. Help him. I'm useless.

Useless useless useless useless useless useless useless useless useless useless useless useless useless.

My cheeks are already covered in tears. I clench my jaw as tight as I can and try to bring the tears to an end.

Meanwhile Gwaine had managed to uncover his face. Eyes closed, nose most likely filled with grains of sand.

This triggers it. I shoot up. My hands grip tight around Merlin's exposed torso and with all my strength I lift him out of the dune and into my lap.

His unconscious corpse is resting up right. His features dead and lifeless. Lips lost their colour. Maybe he is dead...

*splashing noise idk*
Meanwhile, Leon has managed to form a brain and collected some water to shock Merlin awake.

Merlin's P.O.V

I awoke with a sharp breath. The sand in my oesophagus induced a minute long coughing fit.

I opened my sandy eyelids and adjusted to the sun's rays. I feel I'm being watched. Except I am.

Leon and Gwaine's faces are the first I spot. Concern basically written on their foreheads. However the most important face here, is none other than King Arthur himself.

His blue eyes were cloudy. Tears evidently forming. His forehead harbouring beads of sweat. Lips bright red along with his nose and cheeks. But the look in his eyes did not just mimic that of Leon and Gwaine's. Another emotion was present, the one you give to someone special, a mad love. No. Not Arthur.

Arthur's P.O.V

Merlin sat still in my crossed legs as he stared deep into my eyes. I couldn't move. Not that I wanted to. I could stare into the galaxy of Merlin's eyes for eternity.

"Merlin, are you alright?"
Of course Gwaine interrupts.
"Y-yeah" he forces out.
"Your throat must be as dry as a desert. Here" Leon offers him some fresh water. Merlin complies.

"Thanks" he smiles.
How does this man exist.
I look to his leg and see his neckerchief strangling his thigh. And blood.

"What happened?" I say distressed. I shouldn't care this much but I couldn't help it.
"I think a branch impaled me before I washed up" he mumbles. Quite calm for the situation at hand. This concerns me more.

"Is that my Tuesday neckerchief?"
Oh.
My stomach drops. This is embarrassing. I couldn't admit I was missing him.
"NO."
Well that came out in a different tone then I expected.

Gwaine chuckled.
"You two are adorable but the sun is falling and we should probably start heading back,"
Adorable? No.

"You're right. Merlin you ride with me,"
Gwaine and Leon snicker.
What are those two girls thinking about?

I secure Merlin and we set off.

~~~~~~~~~~•~•~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm gonna die before this book is finished.

- Your humble bumble bee