Found You (Pt 1)

"Alright," Bruce agreed. Maddie squealed and pumped her fist. "But you have to be with Dick or I the whole time, and listen to what we say. And if we tell you to leave, you leave. No questions asked, no matter what."

"Deal," she squeaked, sticking out her hand to shake his.

"I need a dress," Maddie realized after he'd shook her hand.

"I'll get something for you," Bruce smiled.

"Thank you, Bruce," she grinned, giving him a hug.

<><><>

The party was the most fun she'd had in years, even though she wasn't allowed to leave Dick or Bruce. They introduced her as a cousin who's visiting for the weekend so no one would ask questions when she disappeared. Tonight, she was Lily Swanson, a deceit that gave her a little thrill.

She got to talk to other people and make jokes with them, but Dick, overprotective brother that he was, did not allow for very much male conversation, let alone dancing.

"Dick, you do realize I'm going to end up with a guy at some point, right?" Maddie asked in exasperation.

"Not if Bruce or I can help it," he scoffed with a smirk.

"Okay, but you're not letting me dance with anyone, which was kinda the whole reason I wanted to come," she pouted. After she was taken from Joker, she put some of the technique she'd learned into dance.

She loved to twirl and leap about, or even break it down every once in a while. Her fighting training was put to practical use once she finally got Bruce to admit that he was Batman. It honestly was not a hard deduction to make, especially since he was always tired and beat up and gone at night.

He'd recently started letting Dick fight crime with him, which Maddie secretly longed to do. However, she knew that Bruce would never allow it, if not because of the overall danger, then because of the Joker.

Bruce explained to her after she got over her initial sadness that though Joker appeared to love and care for her, most of the things he'd said were to manipulate her. He pointed to such evidence as the fair and the Riddler incident to support his claim. As she got older and started thinking about it more, she found it harder and harder to cling to her love and loyalty to the Joker.

If he cared about her, why put in her in danger by trying to make her fight? Bruce did everything he could to keep her out of danger.

All of his promises didn't line up with his actions, and Maddie was forced to face the facts. There was no way the Joker actually cared about her as more than property.

"If you really wanna dance, I'll dance with you," Dick offered, returning her to the present.

Maddie smiled and took his outstretched hand, letting him lead her onto the dance floor. They slow danced playfully, gliding across the room and filling it with their delighted laughter. Though Maddie and Dick only cared about each other as siblings or best friends, he still knew exactly how to cheer her up and make her laugh, making faces as they danced.

"Boss, I'm in position," Joker heard in his earpiece.

"Give me eyes," he demanded as he stared at the video screen in the van. The screen flickered a moment before turning on, showing J a view of the ballroom.