Chapter 34: Home

Remember that this chapter takes place six months after the last chapter.
x~X~x

It's been six months since our last major event has happened in our little adventure as we arrive in the outskirts of the last town we need to stop at. The village that we have arrived at is my hometown, Shroudpass. The only people that know the name of this village is me and Thero, the others know the name of the village we came from but they don't know that this is that village. 

I recognize the house that I treated Thero's father in, and he seems to unconsciously walk to it.  I stop him, but not before the others see.

"Do you know who lives there?" Leo stops in his tracks, "We can go say hello if you want."

"No!" Thero answers quickly. He answered to fast though and Evelyn and Leo got suspicious. 

I just sigh and answer the unspoken answer, "This village is Shroudpass. Our home village." 

They seem to freeze at my words. Thero doesn't seem to care as he walks to a tree near the house, two gravestones stand in front of the tree. He crouches down near them. I leave the others and walk to the site. 

"You know what's funny." I stay silent, "My mother is still alive as far as I know and my father just put this up so people would just stop asking about her. Now I really am missing one of my parents." I know that saying anything really might not work to cheer him up. I've been through this before with my father, I know that even if they are to say anything it won't help at all, the only thing that I wanted was the comfort that there was someone there for me. So instead of saying anything to him I just crouch down to his level and hug him from behind. Right now might not be the best of times to tell him that his father is still here in spirit. 

I don't know how long we were there or when the others started to stand behind us, but Thero decided to be the first to tell us that we need to go. 

"It would not be a good idea for us to be seen. They kicked me out and they think that I killed everyone in a neighboring village, and they know Thero from childhood. I'm going to a shed that I have that's, hopefully, still standing. We can meet there." Even though the explanation that I gave was really sudden they didn't question it as we split off into our two teams, Evelyn and Leo going into town to get supplies for the last week that we need to come up with a plan, while Thero and I go to my shed.

After splitting up Thero askes, "Why didn't you think I should go to town? The last time that they saw me was when I looked about 14 years old, I look 20 years old now."

"Because we need to get the herbs that are needed for the spell, remember? We can't have them with us while we look over the spell a few more times." It's been a while since we had talked about the spell, and we both know that the spell could mean the death of both of us. 

We first stop at the land that my house use to stand at. All that's left is the black timbers that use to hold up the walls of my house. I walk to where the back door used to be and begin to walk back, twelve steps toward, turn right and walk, I make a few more turns along the way but I eventually see the building come into view. My mother used to have a spell on it to hide it from people coming back here, but after she left the spell just disappeared one day. 

It's located tightly in between three big oak trees, the branches have grown out lots since I was last here a few years ago. The leaves have grown and fallen over and over on the ground and the roof, years of neglect have taken over the walls. 

"And here we are, thank the gods that they never found this place. I have lots of things that I put in here years ago that I don't think that I could ever replace immediately." And that much is true, I have books in here that would take me ages to find another copy or maybe not, some of the books in here are one-of-a-kind. 

I walk up to one of the trees and ask for entrance for me and my friend. My mother had enchanted the tree and allowed it's soul to appear in this world. A face slowly starts to appear in the tree bark, forming the face of an older man. 

"You seek entrance into this house?" His voice is quiet and raspy sounding but I can still make out what he's saying.

"Yes, Wise One. I, along with my friend, seek to enter the house that you protect." I bow my head down to the ground. I use to talk to him when I was younger after my mother enchanted him, he would tell me the stories of his world and teach about respecting the nature of things in this world. He also taught me to respect, when to use it and when I can be myself. 

His lips slowly start to form a bright smile, he has a different name but I would always call him Wise One, it had become a nickname from me to him.

"My young Jacqueline, is that you? You've grown so much, how long has it been since you last talked to me." Even his voice seems to have gained some life.

"Since I last visited you it has been four years in my time, I am now a young woman of 24 years. Although in your eyes I am still a baby that needs help in her life and I would love it if the Wise One could help me."

x~X~x