Chapter 28: Followed

x~X~x

Hearing the growl behind me sends shivers up my spine. Even more when I hear more growls around me. I decided to play it cool and continue on with what I'm doing, maybe if they don't think I know that they're there they might leave me alone after seeing that I have no ill will towards them. 

I pet Masami and mouth to her to be calm and act like nothing is wrong. 

"Come on Masami, let's bury them and get out of here." I smile at her and use a stick to start putting dirt over them. By the time I finish my one grave, Masami has already filled in the other graves. I laugh and pet her leg, "Maybe if there is a next time that I have to do this I'll let you take care of the digging and burying and I'll just work on the bodies." I grip her leg to tell her to shrink down. I pick her up in my arms and walk in the direction of the lake, hoping that they won't stop me. 

I'm already an hour or so behind schedule for meeting up with everyone. I walk on, knowing that the wolves are following me. I look down to Masami. 

"Come one we're already behind schedule. Let's pick up the pace a little bit." I start to jog a little. Until I get tackled to the ground by a familiar white wolf. 

"Leo!" I pick myself off the ground quickly and before he can start anything I project my thoughts into his head. 

"Don't do anything. I know that I'm being followed. I'm playing it safe, there's enough of them that they took out a group of maybe eleven vampires. We do not have the strength to take them on." 

He just wines in understanding and starts on towards the lake and I follow him closely. Well, now that Leo and I are together, when we reach the lake we'll all be together and can leave. Leo stops me and points to my bag, wanting his clothes. Before the last town, we had decided that we all should carry a change of clothes for Leo. I think that he gave his bag to Thero when we scattered. 

I don't know what he's planning, but I comply with his demands pulling out his clothes. I hand them to him and turn my back while he puts on his clothes. He clears his throat so I turn back to him, his white ears standing tall and swivel at every sound that he hears. 

"Come on let's go." He walks away, with his tail swinging back and forth with his steps. 

"Why did you change?"

"I changed because only one werewolf in the entire race can have my condition, and with me being the third prince the rumor spread very fast. So now that they have seen me like this they'll know that I'm the prince and not a lot of people want to mess with royal family." 

I think to myself that it is true because no human wants to mess with the human royal family, they'll get to much hate from the other people around them. 

"Come on lets run, we only have about a mile until the meeting point." He starts to lightly run, and I follow close behind. I listen for the wolves behind us, I can still hear them behind us but they are a little farther back and from the sounds, a few of them broke off and left. 

I see the lake so I take off, tired from the trip. I reach the shoreline, set my backpack down and jump into the lake. Soon after I jumped in I hear another splash, I look up from the bottom of the lake and see Evelyn swimming towards me. 

She reaches me and pulls me into a hug that soon escalates into a deep kiss. 

"Well, that was nice, and I would love to continue this, but we have a problem."

"What's wrong?"

"Those villagers that were part of the attack group that killed Mina and I were killed about two miles back. It was done by werewolves, and they followed me after I finished, well more Masami, burying them. Then when Leo ran into me they still followed us all the way here." 

"Let's get going then." 

I internally sigh, watching her go. When this is over I want her all to myself for a good week. 

We re-emerge and swim to the shore where Thero and Leo are waiting for us. 

"Hey, Thero." I smile innocently at him. Then I run at his full force, grab him, and throw him into the lake. Once he re-emerged again he seems mad. 

"What was that for?" He swims for the shore. Everyone else a little put off by what just happen.

"That was for leaving me in the Other Place and not telling me that you go there every night. Also, why the hell didn't you tell my mother what all had happened to me? I was questioned for a good thirty minutes by researchers." He pulls himself out of the lake, his mouth forming an 'O' shape.

"I'm gonna be questioned by your mother tonight, aren't I?"

"And maybe the leader of the elves, Elwen." 

I face my hands at Evelyn and Thero, "Ventus calidum." Warm air starts to dry them off and once they're done I do the same thing to myself. While I was doing that the others packed up their stuff and Leo got his bag back from Thero. I walk over to where I placed my bag, check on Masami, and put it back on. 

We all meet up and we look at the map, I point out where we need to go and the route that we should take. I tell them that the next town is about three weeks away and that we need to be extra careful when we enter the town. 

We set off with the wolves still following us, and we still act like their not there. 

x~X~x