XVII. the control room

My eyes adjusted to the dazzling room that I was in. From the corners of my eyes, the sight of an ocean stretched the horizon and Mediterranean fan palm trees permeated the land below through the glass windows. A cathedral's outline emerged beyond the cities, beyond the fortresses. To the west there was an ancient castle. We were high off the ground. My guess was a private facility. But what floor?

A floor high enough to kill a body before it reached the ground from a fall, that's for sure.

That was all I could take in from the dream before the sudden noise of a group of people fighting was brought to my attention. I turned to the center of the room. Five people, masks on, were attacking the guards in the room. It took only a moment before I realized it was my team. They were outnumbered, but yet, their expressions told me that they were winning.

Whatever was going on, all that mattered was that my team was winning.

Or so I thought. Because in a split second, I found myself feeling uncomfortable. Uncomfortable at them... winning. The longer I looked at them, the weirder the feeling became.

Someone made eye contact with me. Beta, I presumed. I could make out his tropical green and grey eyes. He looked at me as if time had stopped. As if he wasn't currently battling a room filled with assailants. As if we were in our own world.

Which we might have been, because I have never felt so much hate for someone more than this very moment.

I hated him. And when my eyes glazed over the rest of the team, I hated them too. They wanted to take me away when I was safe. I didn't want to be taken hostage again.

Who was talking right now..?

They called me a different name and pretended I was someone I wasn't. They wanted to force me to labor for them. They wanted to rip me away from my love. I was a prisoner. I despised all of them.

But I loved messing with them.

I felt myself smiling oddly as I made eye contact with the youngest member in the room. Pooh. He stopped in his tracks and pointed his stick at me. But he didn't hit. He didn't intimidate. He just stared on as if the soul left his body.

This was fun. Every time I looked at someone, they just freeze. What a fun game. Who next?

The other woman in the room noticed me, but she didn't stop fighting. Did she not care about me? Why was she fighting if she didn't care?

Maybe she couldn't recognize me.

So I cleared my throat, practiced a few words, and then acted out a string of phrases that seemed like what this 'Venus' of theirs would say.

She didn't stop. Touch cookie. I like her.

I walked forward. She eyed me cautiously from the corner of her eye as she and RSMS took two guards down together. I waved. She frowned. RSMS stopped and he stared. L01 came towards me, and he was the only one that put a hand on me. He grabbed my wrist and tugged at it. I saw him mouth, 'Come on. Let's go.'

I smiled, but it faltered when the woman put her hand on L01 and shook her head disapprovingly, bringing his hand away from me.