Chapter Six: Addio Adducis

Dmitri lead me downstairs to the kitchen, keeping his strong arm firmly wrapped around me. When we entered the kitchen, Paola was sitting at the table with a troubled look on her face.

"Aw, Lila. I am so so sorry."

"Paola what are you apologizing for?" I looked at her puzzled. Then I remembered that I was pretty much assaulted by her son.

"For Alonzo attacking you. He's in deep shit Lila, I do not tolerate that in my house." In that moment, I truly believed every word that came out of her mouth, she was sincere. I knew I could trust her.

I looked at her with sad eyes. "Paola, it's not your fault, you can't blame yourself. Besides," I gestured to Dmitri, "He saved me."

She sighed. "I know he did Lila, but that doesn't change the fact that my own flesh and blood assaulted a guest in my home." I stayed silent, I didn't know what to say! "I kicked him out." Wait what?

"You kicked Alonzo out?" Wow, she really wasn't playing around .

Her mouth formed into a hard line. "Yes, last night. Dmitri spoke with me about what he did and I felt that was the best decision. He won't be hurting anyone else under my roof. If I can help it, I'll see to it that he won't be attacking anyone else, wherever he goes."

As Paola and I conversed, Dmitri left my side and began to cook us breakfast. Paola and I finished talking about what happened, and continued with a more pleasant topic. I could smell the food he was cooking. Fried eggs, hash browns, and bacon, my favourite. As I impatiently waited, Anna finally woke up and joined us.

"Good morning Anna", I chirped.

"Morning Lila," she didn't look too happy to be up.

"You sure do look tired," I commented

"You bet I am. Another night of tossing and turning."

"That's never any fun."

Dmitri finally finished cooking the food, and I definitely wasn't disappointed. It was like he knew exactly how I love my breakfast. Crispy bacon and hash browns, along with my over easy eggs. Absolute perfection.

"Thanks Dmitri," I looked up at him and smiled.

"You're welcome," he replied as he sat down next to me.

---------------------------------------------

Before I knew it I finished my breakfast, packed the little clothes I had, and Dmitri and I were heading out the door to god-only-knows where.

"So where are we going next Dmitri?"

"Out of Italy."

"Well that really narrows it down," I scoffed.

"I've told you before Lila, the less you know the better. Get used to it."

"Someone sure is cranky this morning."

"Lila, please stop talking. I'm really not in the mood."

"Are you kidding me? You sure were happy earlier!"

"Well I'm not anymore, so please just stop."

"Ugh, fine." I gave up, this man is so confusing. One minute he's Prince charming and the next he's Grumpy from the seven dwarves.

"Good. Thank you."

"You're not welcome," I mumbled under my breath.

"What?" Dmitri questioned.

"Nothing," I sighed.

Dmitri returned his focus to the road ahead of us, keeping quiet the entire time.