21 | 𝕥𝕖𝕒𝕤𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕝𝕚𝕥𝕥𝕝𝕖 𝕓𝕠𝕕𝕪

Start from the beginning

He looks up and his eyes meet mine. "I don't know, man. Why are the witches getting themselves involved?" Jeremy places the note from the Coven of Thirteen on my desk, the handwritten words facing up toward us. "What do they have to do with our war?" We both fall prey to our dark and worrisome thoughts for a second before we snap out of them. This was my mate, his future Luna whose fate we were thinking about. Why did she have to get caught up in all of this, when I was trying so hard to push her away and keep her safe?

 Why did she have to get caught up in all of this, when I was trying so hard to push her away and keep her safe?

"We might have to go to El Centro to find out. The meeting's only five days away. A day before the Mating Ceremony." I murmur, tracing the large words on the invitation. What was the meaning of this? What did they want from us? Why must both me and my people go there while Caine and his people would be there too?

"That's risky!" Jeremy exclaim, a frown pulling down the corners of his mouth. "Who knows what will happen there? The witches will be in control. We could be walking into a trap and all of our high ranking wolves could die!" Witches never picked sides in wars and when they did, it never turned out to be good for either sides.

"Don't you think I understand that? That I thought of that?" I snarl, flashing my canines at Jeremy and at the incredulous tone he used with me. I hold back my wolf from lashing out at my Beta. Did he think we were an incapable Alpha? I hope not. For his sake.

Jeremy, realizing why he enacted such dominance-displaying behavior out of me, was quick to make things right. "I apologize, Alpha, it's just that the witches are unpredictable. They could have some tricks up their sleeves. They always did in the past."

"Which is why I'll have to look more into this meeting. I'll have my sources check further into the details." I huff, bringing my head down to rest in my hands. "It just doesn't make any sense. It's just before the Mating Ceremony. It has to be planned and coordinated. But why?"

My Beta agrees, slumping down onto one of the chairs in front of me. "WAIT." The silence ceases with Jeremy's exclamation and with wide eyes, he abruptly stands up. I can imagine the light bulb, lit, above his head, the way they show such ideas in cartoons. "Alessandra. Do you think it has anything do with her? She is a witch after all." I can understand where his sudden realization comes from but from what I know, Alessandra has been banished from the Witch Society years ago. I tell Jeremy this and he frowns, sitting back down. "Have you spoken to Leo?" He inquires. I shake my head at him and he advises me to talk to him about Alessandra's appearance and the Coven's invitation. "He's a warlock. He'd know." Jeremy says before he leaves me alone in my office to go for dinner with his mate.

Mate. Someone I may never have. I sigh and choose to go speak with my magical friend later. Exiting my spacious office, I walk down the lonely hallways and up the stairs to my floor where I then go straight to my room. The room that should've been Melanie and I's shared room. After a quick shower, I lie down in bed in my boxers, thinking about how I never understood what I had until I lost it all.