Chapter 20

I went to see my mom for the usual visits. She was telling me about this new wedding cake order she got and she had to work a lot on it.

"Zack, you're not paying attention." She said for the third time.

"I'm sorry mom but do you really think I would be interested in hearing your baking problems?"

"Then why don't you talk about yourself? I'm always interested in what happens to you." She said giving up.

"I took Ray to The West Diner yesterday. She loved the place. We had my favorite sandwiches." I said.

Mom definitely didn't like it.

"It's Nora's birthday next week. I want you to come." She said.

"How many times do I have to say this? I don't want to meet them and I don't want to talk to them. Can't you just respect my decision?"

"Why do you do that? They are your half siblings. You have the same blood. You care so much for Ray when you've known her just a month. You've known Nora for nine years and I've asked you to talk to them a thousand times. They have a brother but he's never there for them." Mom said.

"What about you? What about all those years that you weren't there for me? You're my mother but you left me. You didn't even come to visit me for five years. Five years. Do you have any idea how I waited on my every birthday for you to come? I cried on my every birthday for those five years."

She said nothing. She looked ashamed.

"I keep telling myself that I've forgotten about it. That I forgave you but I can't okay? I just can't. I can't forgive you for leaving me. I can't forgive you for leaving me and my dad for another man. I can't forgive you for leaving your family to start another. I've tried mom. I really have but I can't. Everytime I tell myself those lies they ruin me. You complain that I'm always angry. Well this the reason. I can't forgive you but I don't want to see you unhappy. I don't want to pretend anymore because I just keep hurting myself trying to protect your feelings. I'm sorry."

Mom was dumbstruck. She didn't expect this outburst. What I said was the truth. I kept it inside my for so my years. Dad telling me about the real reason of their divorce didn't have much to do with it. It just gave me the reassurance that I wasn't the reason.

"I'm sorry, Zack." Mom said.

I didn't want to talk further on this matter so I left. This time, at least I told her what was wrong.

***

I met Jenny on the market street. She waved at me and came over to where I stood.

"Hey. I didn't expect to see you here." She said.

"I had to meet someone here. Anyway, what are you doing here?" I asked her.

"I needed a haircut. Does it look good?" She asked walking beside me.

"Honestly, the length is shorter but I can't see much difference."

She hit me playfully on the arm. "You're so mean. Do you know how much we spend on haircuts and then guys just say that they can't see the difference. My brothers do this everytime!"

"I guess we just have less observatory skills than you." I laughed.

"You said your dad is Blake Woods, right?"

"Yeah. Does he teach you?" I asked.

"Nope. I'm a psychology major." She answered.

"Why did you come here though? From what you've told me, you could have easily gotten into a better college."

"It was a decision I deeply regretted in the start. There's a long story." She said.

"Well, I happen to have a lot of free time and it's just six in the evening." I pointed towards a nearby cafe. "What do you say?"

"Fine. But it's your treat because you didn't compliment my hair."

I laughed and settled down in a chair.

"Okay, so here it goes." She took a deep breath.

"In high school, I had a boyfriend called Jerry. He was never a bad boy. He was sweet and charming and really nice. It was around the end of high school when he started hanging out with the wrong company and started drinking. His grades lowered and he became very moody. I still loved him and never gave up on him. My brother, Devin warned me about him, my friends and parents warned me about him but I didn't listen.

"When we graduated high school, Jerry could only get into the Heaven Roth. I had promised him that we'd go to the same college and so I ended up here. In my freshman year, I caught him cheating on me. I was really devastated. My college friends helped me out. I'm okay now but I still ruined my chances of having a better career because of him."

"That's..."

"Complicated?" Jenny laughed. "I know. It did teach me a lesson. I have my eye on another guy in college. Jerry isn't going to stop me from living my life."

"Wait, is this new guy the reason you got a haircut?"

"Guilty as charged." She grinned.

"Well you're gonna be disappointed 'cause that haircut isn't gonna work." I chuckled.

"You're really mean." She threw a tissue at me, laughing.

"If you're free from trying to seduce that guy then could you come to a book signing tomorrow?"

"I'm not seducing him!" She said offended. "I'll be there but I gotta go now."

"Bye Jenny."

"Bye Zack."

Author's Note

New chapter! Since one of my favorite people said that she wanted more chapters, I've added one more chapter to the story. What do you think of this chapter? Let me know! I love reading your comments.

Vote

Comment

Share

Have an excellent day!