Chapter 11

"He invited you to Crushers?" I asked Ray as we were getting ready to go to the ice cream parlor.

"Does it not have good flavored ice creams?" Ray asked innocently.

I chuckled and shook my head.

Crushers was the most popular dating hangout for middle schoolers and high schoolers in the town. I had brought most of my dates to the place. In college, people preferred a cozy coffee place near market street.

"It's the most popular dating hangout in town," I told Ray.

She went as red as a tomato. "There's nothing like that."

"We'll see it at the end of this homework session. Be careful," I said.

"Oh shut up. Nothing's gonna happen," she blushed.

"Let me tell you, siblings always tease each other. Get used to it."

"Whatever," she rolled her eyes.

"Alright, enjoy your date with Skylar." 

"It's not a date," she said glaring at me once she got out of the car.

"Keep telling yourself that," I smirked.

She gave me a scowl and walked into the ice cream place. I drove to the market street. Mom's birthday was coming up. I never attended any of her birthday gatherings but I always got her a present.

I was looking around the gift shop when I heard a familiar voice call my name. I turned around and saw Katherine.

"Hi. You're Zack, right? You work at the bookstore?" She asked coming over to my spot.

"Yeah. You're Katy from the newspaper," I said.

"I am. What are you doing over here?"

"I was just looking for a gift for someone." I said and picked a nice pendant.

"I am here for the chocolates. These guys keep the tastiest ones," she laughed.

"Ms. Green told me you write the local news column?" I asked.

"Yeah but it's not really my thing. I'm a Business and Management Studies major. Local news is not really my cup of tea." She answered.

"Then why are you doing the job?"

"I want to save up some money before I can actually pursue something I like. I'm just twenty four. I have plenty of time to do what I want. What about you? Do you like your job?"

"I do love my job but it's temporary. Ms. Green is an amazing woman and I've known her since I was a baby. I'm still trying to figure out what I want that's why a job at the bookstore is my best option."

"Did you always live here?"

"I was born and brought up here. Though I did go to college in New York," I said.

Katherine had gone to college in California. She told me that her parents knew somebody on the newspaper and got her a job.

"Do you live with your parents?" She asked me.

"Yeah. My parents are actually divorced. I live with my dad, my stepmom and stepsister. What about you? Do you live alone?"

"I share an apartment with a friend. She works as a photographer. I only have a younger sister. She's just a year or two younger than you. Wait, how old are you?" She asked me.

"I turned twenty two in two months," I replied. "How much did you think?"

"Around that much."

"You know what? We should hang out sometime. You, me and Dale. You could invite a friend if you like," she said.

"Sounds like a plan. I can bring along my friend Colin." I said.

We exchanged numbers to contact each other.

"I gotta go. I have a date," she said. "That's why I bought chocolates."

"I don't get it."

"See, if the date goes bad, I can eat chocolate to console myself. If it goes well, I can eat chocolate to celebrate." She grinned.

I laughed. "We'll talk about that plan. See you around, Katy."

"See you around, Zack."

***

When I came back home, Carmen and Ray were looking at the wedding photographs. They had spread them out over the couch and sat on either end, looking at them.

"You look so beautiful in this one," Ray said handing Carmen a photo.

"And this one is of you and mom." Carmen gave one to Ray.

She noticed me coming over and said, "Zack, we were picking out some photos so we could frame them. Could you help us?" 

"Sure." I pulled a chair and started looking at the photographs.

"Here's one of you dancing with your friend and Ray." Carmen handed me a picture.

It was when Colin, Ray, Audrey and I were dancing together. Colin was laughing like an idiot, Ray was enjoying herself thoroughly and Audrey.... she had her arms around me and smiled up at me.

"This is a ridiculous photo. You can throw it away if you want." I said.

"Okay," Carmen said, surprised by my reaction. Then she looked at the photo and realized why I reacted that way.

"Look, here's one of you and me." Ray said.

The picture was taken when I asked Ray to dance with me. I was nervous I'd mess up and Ray was absolutely confident. I still looked handsome though.

The front door opened and dad came in. Carmen and Ray had him engrossed in looking at the pictures soon enough.

"I almost forgot to tell you. Zack, the town fair is coming up. Why don't you take Ray to it?" Dad said.

"Sounds like fun," Ray grinned.

"I guess I could go." I said.

At night, I checked my phone again. No message or anything from Audrey.

Author's Note

That was the new chapter. What do you think? I love hearing your thoughts. Feel free to correct any grammatical errors or typos.

It's the last day of the year guys! Guess what are my plans? Publishing updates! My life is boring. I know 😢. What are your plans? Do you have any New Year resolutions? Let me know in the comments.

Vote

Comment

Share

Happy New Year's Eve! Stay safe and enjoy your day!