Chapter 9

"How's the pamphlet making going?" I asked stepping into the living room.

"We're just finishing up the last one," Skylar answered.

"Cool. Here's your money." I paid them the money we had agreed on.

"Well, if you want more, you know where to find us," Ray grinned.

"Yeah right. I'm going to the bookstore to show Ms. Green here these. If you need anything call me," I told Ray.

She nodded. I gave Skylar an I'm-watching-you look before leaving the house.

"Hello my favorite bookstore owner," I said walking into the store.

"Hello Zack. Your shift is over. You have a morning to afternoon shift," she said.

"But my work is not. The pamphlets are ready," I gave her the stack of papers. She looked at them carefully. Ms. Green had a good eye for artistic work.

"They're amazing. Now we need to hand them out," she said smiling.

"I'll hand them out," I said.

"You're already doing so much. I couldn't ask you to do that. I'll do it myself," she said.

"That is nonsense. I won't even be doing it. I'll get my stepsister to hand them out in her school and dad to give them the receptionist at the college. It's no big deal," I tried to persuade her.

"You really do too much. The employees my dad had were so lazy. They wouldn't lift a finger in the store. I can't let you do all the work, Zack."

"I'm not doing all the work," I pointed out.

She finally gave up. "Fine. You can be really stubborn sometimes."

"What I'm hearing is 'You're amazing.'" I gave her a cheeky grin.

"I should get going. Collin got a job at his dad's restaurant. He's going to stay here for at least a year. He's coming over," I told her.

"That's great news. Congratulate him on my behalf," Ms. Green said.

"I will."

***

I was typing on my laptop when I heard a knock. Not on my door but on my window. Collin Parks peeked through the glass. I hurried to the window and opened it, allowing my idiotic friend inside.

"You took the old times thing way too seriously," I told him. "You could use the front door you know."

When we were kids, Collin would climb the windows of my house and get in.

"What's the fun in that?" He asked. I laughed at him.

"So, what are you doing?"

"Nothing really. I have a very boring life, my friend," I answered, sitting down on my bed.

Collin took out the chair from my desk and sat on it. "Well, guess what. I have more good news."

"You're getting married?"

He grabbed the nearest pillow and threw it at me. "I have an idea to get you out of your sulking from the aftermath of Audrey."

"I'm not sulking," I grimaced.

"You're cooped up in your house since the day she broke up. I get it that you're upset but you can't go on like this. You're already very depressing," he said.

"Maybe I just like my house too much," I shrugged.

"That is a pathetic excuse."

"Look Collin, I really really loved Audrey okay? She was my first serious girlfriend and she left me for someone else. Everything was okay but she still left me because I wasn't good enough for her. I still can't believe I'm using 'was' to talk about our relationship. That kind of stuff would make you upset," I said collapsing on my bed.