Chapter 11

Morginn had been travelling for severaldays now. She did not know where she was going, but somewhereaway from where she came.

"Good Goddess!" ashe-cat cried.

The dilute calicorolled her green eyes and pretended like she did not hear the othercat. She hung her head and continued walking, ears angledforward.

"Hey you!" the catcalled again.

Morginn sighed andturned on the cat, a cinnamon tabby, "I don't care for thegoddess, leave me alone!"

The cat blinked hercopper eyes at Morginn. "Oh no, I don't actually believe inGoddess, it is just a saying."

This caught Morginn'sattention, "Oh?"

"Yes," the tabbyinsisted, "but that's not the point. I wanted to tell you,you're the most beautiful cat I've ever met."

Ears and chest flushingwith warmth, Morginn gave her fur a lick. Then she meowed,"Well, you're rather pretty yourself!" And it was true,she did find the tabby rather attractive.

"Thank you!" thetabby meowed happily, "That's so lovely of you to say!"

"So," Morginnasked, "what is your name?"

"My name is Nanna,"she said, "and yours?"

"I've never heardthat name," Morginn told her, "and mine is Morginn."

Nanna gasped, "Youmust be a real forest cat! I mean, I'm descended from them,but I don't live in the forest. But I've heard they allhave ancient names. Whereas those of us who are simplydescendants have more modern names."

Morginn did not quitecomprehend, so she just blinked at the pretty tabby.

"Why don't you comelive with me?" Nanna suggested.

Morginn felt a warmthspread inside of her, "I'd love that." This cat was kind,smart, and beautiful. What could make a better companion?

They walked a shortdistance until the dirt turned to stone. Wooden structuressurrounded the stone paths and giant shining creatures roared by.

"What is this?"Morginn asked, partially terrified but also amazed.

"This is Town,"Nanna replied, "I live on a street here. Those things arecalled cars and the wooden things are people dens."

"What's a people?"Morginn asked.

Nanna giggled, "Aperson is a tall hairless thing that walks on two legs. Theyrun the town. The plural is people."

"Like that?"Morginn shrieked when she was something walk out of a den, a smalljingling accompanying it.

"Yes, exactly,"Nanna said, "don't worry, they're pretty harmless so long asyou don't go too close. If they catch you they cut you andyou can't breed, but if you just live under their bushes, they setout food for you and call to you when you walk by."

"Good Goddess,"Morginn murmured, her eyes wide as she took in the sight. Morepeople were emerging and cars driving by. It was insanity toher.

"I thought you don'tbelieve in Goddess," Nanna teased.

Morginn playfullyprodded her, "Oh shut up!" Then she added, "This is justso crazy; how could Goddess, if she were true, allow such a thing tohappen?"

Nanna shrugged, "That'skinda why I don't believe in Her."

The dilute caliconodded, "Yes...."

Thecinnamon tabby led the way around the den. Along the side, nearthe back, there was a gap between the den and the ground. Nannasqueezed through it and began crawling. Morginn followed herlead, happy to have a home, and one with someone who loved her.

As they crawled deeperinto the dark, dusty area Morginn couldn't help but notice thehaunches in front of her and the way they swayed from side to sidewith every step Nanna took.

Finally, Nanna turnedaround and faced Morginn. She padded at a dip in the cool dirtand meowed, "This is my nest. We can make it a bit bigger soyou can fit too."

"Okay!" Morginnreplied and began pawing at the ground, pushing pawfuls of dirt awayfrom Nanna and forming a nice ridge around the dip.

Once finished, theylaid together and groomed.

"Your scent is sowonderful too," Nanna purred, "it is delightful on my tongue."

Warm withembarrassment, Morginn hastily replied, "Yours is like when you'vebeen holding your dirt in too long and then you finally find apeaceful place to let it out and relief just floods over you." Sheimmediately regretted the words. She looked at Nanna,mortified.

Nanna laughed and said,"That is a great feeling, isn't it?"

Morginn shook her head,"I'm sorry, I meant your scent is so much sweeter and beautifulbut-,"

"You captured itperfectly," Nanna promised her.

They stared into eachother's eyes, darkened by the den above them, for several fluttering heartbeats before they laid down their heads and fellasleep.

The next morning, theysat outside their den, grooming in the gentle scents of the garden.

"Hey, do you smellthat?" Nanna asked.

Morginn tasted the airbut only found the smell of flowers. "I don't."

"There's anotherforest cat," Nanna told Morginn.

Curious, Morginn got toher paws and looked around. She felt Nanna's tongue strokealong her body and the warmth that followed felt like a docile fire. But she was concerned about this other cat, something did notfeel right.

And then, she saw acalico-tabby walking down the stone path.

Gasping, Morginnmeowed, "Oh no!"

"What?" Nannaasked.

"She has a blue eye,"Morginn told her new companion.

"So?"

        Morginn explained, "Shemust be a priestess!"