Chapter 8

"Remember," Tungl warned them,"avoid all cats romantically. Neither of you are called tomate at this point."

"At this point?"Sannindi asked.

Tungl explained, "Fiskrwill be taking my place. She shall stay by my side through thewinter till I depart."

Fiskr gasped, "Butyou're too young to die!"

Tungl nodded, "I amnot old, however, Goddess has shown me this winter I will succumb toillness. It will be my last."

Putting on a braveface, Fiskr nodded, "Very well."

"Now," Tunglcontinued, "Sannindi, I expect you to travel far. Erikson,guide her and protect her well."

"Of course,"Erikson meowed and dipped his head.

"Do not forget what Itaught you," Tungl made a final statement.

Sannindi and Fiskrpromised that they would not. And then, Fiskr turned to hersister.

"I love you," shemeowed, "goodbye."

"Goodbye," Sannindiresponded, "I'll miss you." While she did not feelsisterhood between them, a bond had formed.

And so, thecalico-tabby turned and set foot outside of the rocky den, making herway down the side of the cliff. She looked out and saw orcas inthe distance, recalling that they were the wolves of the sea. Sheshivered and wondered what they were hunting, and felt sorry for thepoor creature.

Sannindi had beentravelling all day when she finally came to find someone else.

"Hello," shegreeted the tom.

He was white with darkred tabby patches. One eye was yellow and the other blue.

"O-oh, hello," hereplied softly.

"Is something wrong?"Sannindi asked. She sensed something off in his voice, but alsosaw another cat beside him. The green-eyed she-cat was acinnamon tortoiseshell-and-white.

He sighed, "You'rea priestess, aren't you?"

Sannindi nodded, "Freshfrom the den of the high priestess."

His eyes widened amoment and then he admitted, "I've been on my way to see her."

"Why is that?"Sannindi asked.

The tom explained,"Ever since my sister, Almr died, I've sensed her beside me. Iam afraid she has not gone to the Great Garden."

"Would you like me tosend her on her way?"

Again his eyes grewlarge. "N-no," his voice sounded worried and then defeated,"I mean, you should, b-but...but I need her now. I have grownso used to her being here."

"You are not livingyour own life," Sannindi assessed, "She must be shown away." She blinked at the she-cat, noticing her aura, "Do not worry,she shall go above."

"No, please," thetom begged, "I mean, I want to know that I can live with her, thatmaybe...she'll be reborn as my kitten?"

The calico-tabby shookher head, "Toms ought not know their kittens unless they live inSia. You, my dear, do not. She must be sent away."

Almr jumped back,"Please, listen to Akarn; I love him and I do not want to go to the GreatGarden until he can come with me!"

Sannindi noticed theway his ear twitched, that he heard her as well.