Vigr inhaled deeply, "Iam afraid you will be taken from me, dear."

Sannindi's eyeswidened, "What? Why?"

"You have a blueeye," Eng said, sitting back with milk dripping from his chin.

Haukr continuedsuckling.

"So what?" Sannindireplied.

Eng blinked at her, "Itgoes that all the priestesses have at least one blue eye."

Fur raising, Sannindiwas not happy about what she was hearing. She silently askedErikson, "I won't be taken away, will I?"

He replied, "Youshould hope to! It would be such an honor to be so close toGoddess. I could only dream of something like that!"

Vigr pushed Haukr away,"You've had enough!"

"Aww," Haukrmoaned, "I wasn't done yet."

Rolling her eyes, Vigrtightened her curl around herself. She began grooming. Following her lead, the kittens began grooming themselves aswell. Then, they all fell asleep.

When they awoke, thesun was already shining.

"Let's go, kittens,"Vigr said, she swished her tail as if she were herding her kittenswith it.

The little ones got totheir paws and leapt out from under the bush. They playfullyran around in circles at first.

"Save your energy,"their mother warned them, "we have a lot of walking to do."

So they settled down,but excitement pricked their paws. They had been told of theGoddess Pool since before they could hear, and now they were going toactually see it!

But nervousness hadworked its way into Sannindi. She did not want to leave hermother.

"It'll be okay,"Erikson told her, "whatever happens is for the best."

Was he right?

They passed by manyplants as they continued in a northerly direction. Nettle,lingonberry, lily-of-the-valley...and the trees they passed weregrowing sparse as they went along.

At one point, theystopped for a rest.

"My paws ache!" Engcomplained.

Haukr nodded.

Sannindi sat silently,fretting what would happen later in the day.

"We have a little bitfarther to go," Vigr told them, "wait here in this thicket whileI go hunt. After we eat, we'll be re-energized."

So the kittens waited.

It was not too longbefore Vigr returned with a hare. It was small for its species,but it would have to be enough.

"Food!" Eng criedout.

Haukr swiped his tonguearound his muzzle, excited to feast again.

Sannindi didn't feelhungry.

"You ought to eat,"Erikson coaxed her, "it'll be good once you do."

So she took a bite. Taste flooded her mouth and the piece slid down her throat withmuch ease. She licked at the blood from the spot she bit intobefore taking another bite. She had enough to almost fill herstomach.

Her brothers lookedcontent too, though Haukr was nearly fighting his mother for thefinal piece.

Stretching beforewalking around her kittens, Vigr said, "Are we ready to go?"

"No," Sannindimewled as if she were a newborn.

Everyone looked at herin surprise.

"Why not?" Vigrgently asked.

"I don't want to betaken away," Sannindi replied, "I love you!"

Looking at her daughtertenderly, Vigr purred and wrapped herself around her little one. Finally, she said, "I love you too, but if you are called tosomething greater, I am not one to stop you."

"Why?" Sannindiasked, "What if I don't want it?"

"Don't say that!"Erikson gasped.

Vigr, of course, didn'thear him. Instead, she said, "It is a difficult path, yes,but it is a great one. A very holy one. I know you willserve Goddess well if chosen."

Eng and Haukr watchedon in silence. What could they say, after all?

        Licking Sannindibetween the ears, the family came together a moment before movingonward.