Chapter 13

The Drusai carried their injured following the Behemoth at a crawl. After three hours the Hyperion and its tattered compound were still just in view when the sky lit up. The convoy stopped to witness a Titan as it entered the atmosphere, it was the Theia descending far earlier than expected.

"Shit!" claimed Niezen looking up.

"So much for our head start," sighed Felix pointing out the obvious.

"It doesn't matter," claimed Croxen. Felix and Niezen looked at her puzzled. "If my plan fails, it doesn't matter how far we got. They'll find us anyway."

"I suppose that's right, although not at all comforting," added Niezen cynically.

Felix walked over to see how Argai was doing, "looks like this could be the end. But it's going to be quite the show." A bandaged Argai smiled in reply. "Thank you, for everything," smiled Felix. Argai placed his hand on Felix's shoulder so they could be of one mind, one last time. After their moment, Felix rejoined Niezen and Croxen. They were pointing to the Theia and Felix realised the Crius had just then come into view as well.

"Well Croxen, now we just wait and see I guess," stated Niezen.

Croxen seemed agitated, "I'm so over the military," she sighed, shaking her head in disgust, "I'd rather be working the gardens. If we ever get back to Gaia I'm throwing out my commission. So don't call me by my surname anymore, Eva will do just fine," she announced.

Felix and Niezen both smiled, happy to see a softer side to the killing machine present in their midst. Niezen then had his own epiphany, "you know what guys? Fuck it, I'm done too. Just call me Lloyd from now on." The three laughed like old friends as they sat with helmets on and waited for the show to begin.

The Titans continued to descend bearing down on the Hyperion's position and as they closed in, the Crius began to slow falling back partially from the Theia. Finally close enough, the Hyperion's targeting computer was triggered and the trap sprung. The Hyperion's back changed completely as point defence cannons and rail cannons appeared and silos opened.

Well aware of the situation the Theia attempted to take evasive action but without success. Half a dozen missiles directly impacted the Theia causing heaving damage as the Hyperion's rail cannons fired in rapid succession finishing off the Titan without mercy. Explosions erupted all over the Theia as it lost power and started to fall from the sky. Within seconds the main reactor breached and the entire ship was annihilated by the blast, not a single escape pod was seen. A blinding light filled the sky and the ground trembled as the air pulsed from the tremendous explosion. The Crius was riddled with debris and was pushed back by the shock-wave but the damage was superficial. The Hyperion's system then targeted the Crius with its second salvo, but as the missiles took flight they were detonated mid-air by the rail cannons and PDC's of the Crius. Before the Hyperion could reload its silos the Crius launched four of its own missiles from its belly silos. The Hyperion automatically targeted the incoming projectiles with its own defences destroying two. The pair that made contact did significant damage to the Hyperion, disabling all but one silo. The Hyperion's remaining silo fired, Felix, Lloyd and Eva watched on steadfast, their last hope taking flight with the last warhead.

"This is it! Come on, come on," cheered Lloyd. Eva reached out to take his hand and he looked at her to shoot a quick wink before returning his attention to the battling Titans.

The Hyperion's final missile closed in on the Crius, four hundred meters, three hundred, two hundred. An explosion rocked the Crius as if it were a ship caught in rough seas. The missile was detonated almost fifty meters away by rail cannons causing only light damage to the hull. As the smoke cleared four more missiles screamed towards the Hyperion. The Hyperion's reactor was breached by the second impact and detonated. In an instant their hopes and chances of survival had been obliterated. The tremors transferred much more effectively from the destruction of a grounded target. Many of the survivors watching on fell to their knees, some from the shock-wave and others from the daunting reality that they were all about to die.