Chapter 5: Fresh Meat

The next day around 1030 ship's time, Captain Fitzroy marched with gusto toward the Galley. The Major had sent him to enquire about the new menu for a special tasting of their newest protein acquisition. Sova was already growing impatient and his staff knew full well that disappointing him would mean career suicide, perhaps worse. The Head Chef knew it was coming, he'd been under more pressure than ever since getting his hands on a food source that had come from the planet itself.

"14 days? Unacceptable!" barked Captain Fitzroy, staring red-faced at the Galley's Head Chef, Antonio Bernard.

"Look, Sir, these things take time. Ideally, I would love to dry-age it for at least 30 days. That would be best for tenderness and to bring out the full potential of its flavour," explained Antonio.

"Fine, you have 10 days," Fitzroy conceded in a huff. "I'll let the Major know at once, and also, make sure you have enough room in your walk-in. We expect to be receiving another delivery today," informed Fitzroy sounding a little too excited.

"Yes, Sir! How many should I expect?" asked the Head Chef as if ready to take note.

"At least another two," guessed Fitzroy as he slowly tilted his head to each side, stretching and cracking his neck. "The Major has high expectations for this meal, best you don't disappoint him," Fitzroy warned.

"Understood, Sir," the Head Chef nodded just before he turned to scream more orders at his staff, who were already running around frantically preparing for the approaching lunch service.

That afternoon, three Behemoths returned to the Hyperion each carrying precious cargo. A butchering station of sorts was set up in the cargo bay and the fresh meat portions were delivered straight to the Galley as promised. Felix and Maddison were indeed kept busy with a dozen or so smaller specimens to dissect and analyse. They were mostly insects and small reptiles with the odd rodent-like mammal thrown in. Felix however, was troubled by his additional instructions from Captain Fitzroy. They were instructed to determine whether each new species was deemed edible or not, and nothing else. Felix's concern only grew when it became apparent that all the new specimens were dispatched immediately upon capture and that none of their groundbreaking research involved any live study. All three xenobiologists had remained within the ship since landing and were yet to be invited into the field to actually study lifeforms in their natural habitats.

The Galley staff worked tirelessly to butcher and process the fresh Ro'cal parts. Antonio was practically drooling at the endless possibilities. For he had been given an opportunity to cook a protein that was once a living breathing animal, an experience completely unknown to all those born on Gaia.

The day had come and a very enthused Major Sova brimming with anticipation was presented with a tasting plate, which he so graciously chose to share with his ADC. The Head Chef had delivered the meal to Major Sova in person so as to best gauge the Major's reactions to his creations. Lt. Croxen asked Antonio for a description of each item as they tasted. The flavours were nothing short of incredible. The Chef went on to explain that the muscles used the most throughout an animal's life tend to have a more intense and rewarding flavour, but require longer and slower cooking. The pair nodded frantically as they continued to relish the special meal, hardly listening to the Chef's proud words. When Sova finally finished, he wiped his mouth softly, folding the napkin as he placed it down and let out a slow deep breath. He then stood up, his face gleaming with excitement.

"Chef, I can honestly say with the utmost confidence, that this was the best meal, I have ever had," stated Sova almost with tears in his eyes.