Chapter 26

Felix spent that afternoon in a heated debate over the radio with Major Lucero. Felix knew what the outcome would be if the UAV's opened fire on Lloyd but then again the Major had no idea what the Gaia-born cyborg was capable of.

Despite his frustrations Major Lucero still had concerns for the safety of the refugees and was only annoyed that he would now have to explain how he had lost two UAV's to his superiors. Felix reported Lloyd's findings to the Major and they were all baffled and unsettled by the outcome. Major Lucero was adamant that he and his forces were not involved, "I assure you, I gave no such orders."

"And you're certain that nothing, left the grave, of its own accord?" Eva questioned then nodded to Felix she had finished speaking. Felix released the PTT button.

"Yes, most definitely," the Major replied. "If the dead were climbing out of that hole the UAV's would've taken notice.

They ceased communications with the Major and were still left without answers. Just as Felix went to go contact Joseph, Gaia spoke up.

"We may not be in the clear after all, the Scourge may still be here."

"I don't see how," argued Felix turning back, "the Major had it under observation this whole time. Nothing came out of that hole."

It was at that exact moment that Felix, Lloyd, Gaia and Eva each came to the same conclusion. Just as Felix was about to share his thinking their discussion was cut short by a blood-curdling scream from outside. Still on edge from earlier, all four on Lloyd's weapons activated as he jumped to his feet. They ran outside to hear more screams coming from multiple directions. Emelia activated her weapons and along with Lloyd stood forward waiting for an adversary to cut down. A group of people came running from between two of the dwellings and giving chase was a winged creature easily the size of three people. It's two pairs of wings buzzed quickly keeping it aloft, making it sound like a swarm of bees. It dived clutching the closest of the stragglers in it's talons and Lloyd opened fire clipping it's wings instantly dropping it to the ground. The victim was already dead and lay in a pool of her blood as Lloyd and Emelia ran over to finish the creature off. The creature was dispatched quickly and they continued to fire without pause for a few moments until all pieces were completely eliminated.

"Gaia!" Felix yelled. Gaia knew exactly what was expected of her and she patched into the PA system without hesitation.

"Alert! Alert! This is not a drill, evacuate to safe zone!" Her voice echoed throughout the settlement drowned out only by the continuing screams of her dying children. "I'll get Maddison!" Gaia called as she ran back inside. Felix called to Major Lucero for immediate assistance.

As panic stricken refugees came flooding through the camp they were called over and stood with Felix and Eva behind Lloyd and Emelia who fired constantly at the flying Scourge that gave chase.

"Help is on its way," confirmed Felix clipping the radio back on his belt.

"Good, they can get eaten while we escape," interjected Eva as her eyes darted back and forth watching the winged creatures be cut down by Lloyd and Emelia as quickly as they appeared.

"Time to go!" declared Gaia stepping from their dwelling with Maddison in tow. They fled the settlement heading in the direction of the military outpost with Emelia at the rear.

As per their evacuation plan, Lloyd pushed further into the settlement to find as many survivors as possible and cover their retreat. One of the Scourge units swooped down knocking Lloyd off his feet, Felix broke formation running back to his aid.