Chapter 1: Titan Phoebe

During her eighteenth expedition the Titan Phoebe had entered the system of PLW-833267R. Under sub-light propulsion she passed by a dozen gas giants and their natural satellites. Humanity's prize was almost in sight and many of the crew wished to lay eyes upon their potential new home for themselves.

The youngest officer onboard, Lieutenant 2nd Class Leopold Castillo was a third generation officer within Gaia Station's military. He was immensely proud of his duties and to be serving on a Titan expedition was his greatest wish fulfilled. On his way to the Bridge Leo stopped by the Officer's Mess to rouse his peers and superiors alike. As aide de camp to the Phoebe's second in command, Leo was elated to inform all he could that they had nearly arrived at their destination.

Finding limited enthusiasm within the Officer's Mess, Leo left bumping into the Colonel's ADC at the next junction. Lieutenant 1st Class Verity Ballantyne had been so wonderful to Leo during their expedition. They had worked together closely for months in service of their commanding officers. Her sweet smile had become something for Leo to look forward to each shift. He caught her scent and his mind began to wander. Whatever she had used smelled of jasmine and it was intoxicating. Leo's focus drifted further and slowly it traced the few strands of dark hair that escaped her on-duty braid down to her shoulder.

"Leo?" Verity asked cautiously. "Is everything alright?"

His stomach dropped instantly and his gaze shot back up.

"Yes, Sir! All shipshape!" He answered knocking his boot heels together.

Verity giggled and rolled her gorgeous green eyes.

"No, silly," she smiled. "I'm not asking for an update or status report. I'm asking how you are?"

Hearing her call him silly for what was easily the umpteenth time, an innocent smile crept across Leo's face.

Noticing his overwhelming approval, Verity, it seemed couldn't help but respond in kind. The pair stood motionless, staring into each other's eyes as the universe carried on around them.

Finally, Leo puffed out his chest and cleared his throat.

"Lieutenant Ballantyne, could we, um, maybe, meet up tonight after shifts end? I'd very much like to talk with you about, well anything. Anything but work stuff," he chuckled as he scratched at a phantom itch on the back of his head.

Verity's eyes widened as her chest rose from a deep breath. She then averted her gaze slightly and bit her lip.

"I'd like that too," she purred softly. "And, you can call me Verity when no one else is around, remember?"

Leo's heart was racing and his breathing heavy. He clenched his right fist tightly trying to overcome the trembling that plagued it. Just as he was about to respond both he and Verity were summoned by their superiors.

Leo and Verity arrived at the Bridge in unison. The atmosphere that awaited them was unsettling. Leo noticed instantly that all three Captains were in attendance with both the Colonel and Major. Something was wrong, the Bridge shift crew looked completely unnerved at having the entire Senior Staff watching over their shoulders.

"Ah, Lieutenants," called out the Colonel from the command chair. "Captain Finley will bring you up to speed," he advised gesturing behind him somewhere.

Captain Abigail Finley was another of Gaia's finest, she smiled stepping forward then directed Leo and Verity over to the vacant console behind her.

The Phoebe had established a geosynchronous orbit around PLW-833267R and probe data was arriving thick and fast. Enhanced images of the planet's surface weren't encouraging in the least. Everything from the preliminary survey was gone. The entire world was nothing but a barren wasteland, a lifeless ball of dust and rock. It appeared as though some kind of cataclysm had befallen this world. Perhaps a violent solar storm had overwhelmed the magnetosphere, igniting the atmosphere, evaporating oceans and scorching away all life in the process.