"Mary, that is a good question. Why do I waste my time giving food to the poor? Because someone has to," the man said, which made Todor grimace. It was one thing to accept that he was in the new unknown world, and other to accept vampires are part of it.

     "So you are saying it's pure altruism on your part, Mister Breeze?" Mary, the interviewer, cooed.

     "I wouldn't say that. Look at a Sea Pit for instance. We can't describe it by any other word but a slum. If those poor people come out and start disturbing the work of more well-off citizens, all of us will be in trouble."

     "So you heard it, folks. Well known vampire lord and patron of many businesses in the city spends his fortune to keep you safe and fill the bellies of unfortunates. Stay tuned next for an in-depth analyses of a new sickness that made experts worry. A new sleeping plague or just fearmongering? Don't change the channel and find out."

     Todor snorted and turned off the TV. Vampire benefactors and sleeping sickness. What a time to be alive, he thought to himself before glancing at the clock again.

     "Alright Mihos, let me feed you." He walked into the kitchen as the cat jumped after him.

     He missed the Internet. The longer he got accustomed to this new world, the more he missed it. Eventually it became this mythical entity in his mind. It was The Internet!

     Sure, there was a local network. Seven cities on the coast known as Albinion were connected. The Knitting of the Realms transported his house to the southern outskirts of the largest of the seven cities, Moriganhold. But that network was just a connection to the libraries and educational facilities like universities. It was nothing like the global phenomena that was the World Wide Web. He looked for magical alternatives, as magic was something that apparently existed now but had no luck either. Humans couldn't use magic, and the magical objects that could be used by mundanes were almost always illegal to own.

      Well, the word 'illegal' changed in meaning now since there were no laws or law enforcers in the city, Todor thought as he glanced at the cupboard Mihos was sitting on a minute ago. Under the floorboards beneath the piece of furniture, Todor had hidden mind-link stone. A magical artifact that when put on the head of intelligent being would connect their mind with a plane of existence beyond Todor's understanding. Sadly that wasn't The Internet alternative Todor wanted. It was a great and useful tool but with the stone he had, he could connect only with people who had similar stones made from same bolder. Which means around four thousand users in Albinion area. Plus, he could get in trouble if someone found out he had it.

     He gave the food to Mihos who purred happily while chomping down on his tuna. Todor smiled at the furry creature. My only constant companion, Todor thought. The cat stopped eating and looked at him, then swung his tail once and continued his feast.

     Todor sighed and left the cat exiting the house. His Renault Four still worked although it was harder and harder for him to keep it running. Newer cars that incorporated materials made with magic were ever more present and were much easier to care for. But Todor didn't want to scrap the car. His mother gave him that old crappy thing and Todor thought that as long as he made those wheels spin, his memories of the Old World would live on. Memories of his mother and father and all the people that he will never see again.

     When the world changed almost all people transferred right away. But some got held up in whatever nefarious way showing years, decades even centuries later. He sadly got relocated three hundred years later. All the people he knew, all the things he loved. Gone. And I miss The Internet the most, pathetic, he thought ruefully entering his car.