VIII

The papers were neatly organized on my desk. I came in early this morning, just to make everything look clean and correct. Plus, I had extra mail to do since we didn't have work yesterday. Yesterday was also the day I kissed Vic, and more importantly, he kissed me.

The door opened abruptly as Vic stormed in, looking furious. Okay, so not a good day?

"Uh...hi." I said, now timid. Vic turned to me, and his eyes softened, but then quickly filled with anger again. He sat down without replying.

"What's wrong?" I asked after a few minutes passed, making my way over to him. I stopped a few inches away from him. He turned towards me.

"Not worth talking about." He replied rather calmly.

"You can tell me...I'll uh, lis-"

"Go work." He cut in, snapping his head away. I nodded slightly before going back to my desk. Was it me that made him so mad?

I shouldn't have kissed him, I knew this would backfire. It's be a fairytale if he would've liked the kiss as much as I did, but no, this world isn't a fairytale. I sighed before putting some papers into the aquired stacks and going on to do the employees time cards.

"Kellin?" I heard Vic say faintly. Hastily, I looked up and dropped my pen, giving him a nod. "Sorry for being a bitch this morning..." I nodded again. "My dad and I got into a argument and I just didn't want to talk..."

"Oh..." I said warily. "I was kind of worried it was about our-"

"Yeah, about that..." He said before I could finish. "That probably wasn't, um, smart of me to do...I think I gave you the wrong idea." My heart dropped. He didn't like it.

"You didn't like it." I stated more than questioned. His head shook back and forth.

"It's not that, it's just not appropriate and it's wr-"

"It's wrong, its inappropriate, but you like it." I interrupted. He sighed.

"I can't say I didn't like it. I just don't want a relationship."

"We don't have to-"

"I'm not screwing around with someone I'm not in a relationship with." He said firmly.

"I quit." I stated without thinking. That wasn't smart, I needed the money to pay my bills!

"Please, please don't. You're a good assistant and we need each other. You need the money, I need the help." I sighed. He was right, I couldn't quit. Finding a new job would be tricky, considering I had nothing on my resume.

"Fine, maybe I can't quit, but just...leave me alone."

"I don't want you to dislike me because I can't be with you Kellin." His hand went through his hair as he let out a frustrated sigh. I had to constrain myself from staring.

"Well I just don't understand why you're holding back."

"I cannot lose this job, Kellin." I looked back to him. "This is all I have, this is the only way I'm going to get a house of my own, and start a life."

"Lock the doors, it's not that hard."

"We wouldn't be able to be in public together."

"Who cares, I like being alone with you anyways."

Vic continued with the list, and each time I gave him another good reason why he's inaccurate. And every time we figure out I was right, I took a step towards him. It wasn't until I was standing right before him that I knew what was going on.