"Really? Thank you so much!" She hugged me.

I was caught off guard by the hug and Ray's sudden outburst but it didn't feel awkward or weird like it used to. It was nice.

***

"Your favorite place is this restaurant?" Ray asked me.

"It is. I have a lot of memories here," I said.

The West Diner was the most famous restaurant in the town. It was owned by Colin's dad and was currently full. Colin was out of town again so I went there.

"This is one of the rare places which isn't spoiled with my mom's memories." I said.

Ray looked at me with sympathy. "You can talk to me about her if you want. I'm here listening."

I took a deep breath.

"I was seven when my mom and dad got divorced. They were halfway through the formalities when they told me their decision. I remember that day clearly. They sat me down in the living room and told me that they were getting divorced and wouldn't be together anymore. I cried. I cried a lot. They both tried to calm me down but I ran upstairs to my room.

"Dad came into my room and tried to convince me that it will be okay. Mom was just outside the door. Then she got a call. She went downstairs and didn't come back for a long time. Dad went to see her and they had a fight. I heard them raising their voices and I went to eavesdrop."

I closed my eyes. I could remember it like it was yesterday.

Fifteen Years Ago...

"Zack is crying upstairs. The least you can do is console him," Blake said.

"Ryan's dad is in the hospital. His dad's condition is really bad. He needs me to be there." Evelyn said, her eyes full of concern.

"Your son needs you, Evelyn. His condition is really bad. You need to be here, for your son." Blake said.

I need you, he added mentally.

"I can't leave him like this. I have to be there for him. I am going." She replied.

"You should be there for your son." Blake made a last attempt.

Evelyn didn't give any response and simply left the house. Their little son, Zack, had watched the whole scene, crying in a corner.

Present...

"My mom left me, her seven year old son, crying for his family to go to her other family. I didn't understand the conversation back then but as I grew up, I realized what dad was trying to imply. Dad wasn't just asking mom to stay for me. He wanted her to stay for him too. His family was falling apart in front of his eyes and he wanted to save it. I blamed him for the divorce for years when it really was my grandparents' fault. They forced two people into marriage who didn't love each other. My dad did fall in love with my mom but she couldn't forget Ryan Adams."

"I'm sorry." Ray offered me a small smile.

"She didn't come to meet me for five years. After the divorce, she didn't even visit me. On my twelfth birthday, she finally came to visit me. She brought her newborn daughter, Nora with her. I was so frustrated with her that I yelled at her. I asked her to leave. She was very sad when she left. I cried after she left. Dad was mad at me for yelling at my mom. He asked me to apologise to her but I didn't. He eventually let it go.

"I started talking to her three years later. She had an accident and her condition was quite bad. Her left hand got fractured and she had a few other injuries. That was when I finally started talking to her. After that, we maintained our relation but we could never be close." 

A tear fell down Ray's cheek. She hugged me for the second time that day. This time I hugged her back.

"I didn't know things were this bad with you and your mom. I'm sorry." She said, pulling away.

"I've finally learned to live with it. Anyway, that is not the reason I brought you here. I brought you here to show you my most cherished place. Dad and I used to come here for birthday dinners and other stuff. This is one place nobody can steal from me." I said.

"Is the food good?" Ray asked.

"The best." I answered with a grin on my face.

"Then what are we waiting for?" She returned my grin.

Author's Note

Another memory of Zack's past. You probably hate Evelyn even more. I don't blame you. Let me know what you think. Again, there are only two chapters left for this book to end.

Vote

Comment

Share

Love you all