Chapter XIX

"Beca, just calm down," Stacie said.

"I have no idea what to get her, Stacie! Her birthday is next week!" Beca exclaimed, resting her head in her hands and fisting her hair.

Stacie and Beca were out for the day trying to find some gifts for Chloe's birthday next week. Beca had been so busy with her work that she forgot to prepare for her girlfriend's birthday, which was very unlike Beca. The brunette always planned ahead for the redhead's special day but she was freaking out since she had nothing planned and she was doing things last minute. She managed to get Stacie out of work to help her plan but nothing was going Beca's way so Stacie decided that the two of them needed a break. They were seated in a small diner having burgers and shakes - Beca's favourite, which helped the young artist calm down a bit.

"You don't need to worry so much, Becs, you know Chloe isn't fussed on presents. She's more interested in you," Stacie reminded the woman sitting across from her.

"I know but I can't NOT get her anything. Chloe deserves everything and anything but what do you get someone who has everything?"

Stacie paused. She knew what Chloe really wanted but she didn't want to pressure Beca more than she already was. Beca and Chloe had talked about the sensitive subject of marriage many times before so it wasn't Stacie's right to talk to Beca about it. She knew that Beca would do that in her own time and when she did, it would be the right time. It was frustrating for Stacie but also Aubrey, Fat Amy, Jesse, Benji, and Bumper since they all knew how desperately Chloe wanted to get married but Beca didn't do anything about it. They all wanted to put Beca in her place and even arrange a marriage so they could just "hurry up and get married", in Fat Amy's words. Annoying as it was, they all knew they had to respect Beca's decision and have to wait just like Chloe did.

"Well... Has she spoken about something that she wants?" Stacie asked.

"No. I can't think of anything. I mean, she's got everything she wants. Birthday's are supposed to be about presents and all that. You can't have a birthday without presents!"

Stacie chuckled. "You sound a bit like Chloe there."

"It's true though. I don't know what to do, Stace..."

"You know that Chloe won't hate you if you don't get her anything, right? She's not that shallow."

"Of course she's not and I know she won't hate me but that doesn't mean that she won't be disappointed or upset."

"Beca, you're overthinking this WAY too much. Chloe won't feel badly towards you in any way if you don't get her a present - we both know she's not like that. Even if you take her out on a nice date or do something special with her - she'll love it."

"I know, I know..." Beca sighed. "I just want to give her so much but I don't know what that is. She's done so much for me and I can't even think of what to get for her birthday. We've been dating for four years and it's like I don't know her at all."

"Hey, come on now, you're being too harsh on yourself. Just relax and finish your fries or else I will."

Beca rubbed her eyes then looked down at her half-eaten fries and began to finish them off.

"I know it's easy to say, but you'll find something and if you don't that's okay, too. Chloe won't mind either way," Stacie reassured her.

"I know... Chloe's just so generous and loving and... everything I'm not."

"Hey, you're great. You can Chloe go well together."

"She's the sunshine to my raincloud."

Stacie smiled at her friend and wanted to call her out for being cute but decided not to since Beca was feeling a little down.