20. Just friends???

Michael

"Help me set this one here Mike?" Bidemi hands me the  fan blades to the standing fan Bolu and I are helping to fix.

"Why did you buy a new fan?" I ask, drilling a screw nail to hold the blades tightly.

The fan is one of those really big fans you would see in churches. Industrial fan, I think that's what they call them. Although they have an installed air conditioner on one side of the living are. They still like the fan breeze, I guess. 

"Bolade was playing with the last one and somehow he crashed it. That brat is a menace." Bidemi explains, finally adjusting the frames fixed now.

Bolade is their youngest, after Bam Bam, and still in primary school. The thought of having five kids, with majority of them boys, except Bam Bam, is stressful to my mental health. I wonder how the parents were able to keep them straight. I get Bam Bam's Dad is quite strict and a sport enthusiast while her mum, also quite strict but not as much as the Dad, but still not easy to train boys o. After all, I'm one.

Five is a large number compared to mine, where it's just me and Malcolm. Malcolm likes sport and he is quite bossy. I can't remember the last time we had a playful brawl or just sit and talk like actual brothers.

Suddenly, I'm tapped on the shoulder, "Yo, are you spacing out?"

Bam Bam is finally downstairs, her comfortable smile radiates towards me and I forget what I was thinking of a moment ago

"Uh I'm just hoping Bolade doesn't spoil this one again?" I manage to say, returning her smile.

She rolls her eyes at my  words. We both know 'fixed' and it's synonyms are strange words in Bolade's life and activities.
"Ughh that child is a walking menace. Lost hope." she adds.

My eyes catches Segun who seem to be helping Bidemi now as soon as He and Bam Bam got downstairs.  He agreed to come with us to see Bam Bam after he told us what happened to her, but somehow, he got suddenly quiet when we got here and they were upstairs together for quite a while.

I felt my body tighten at the thought. I- I..I mean they are friends now and they've been chatting quite well and close....really close. Segun is my guy... right? I trust him. Bam Bam is like a.... like a...I'll be dammed if I say sister.

"You know what," changing the  whole subject. "You should eat and take your medicines. Come on." i take her by the wrist and lead her to the dining table where her food is placed and covered.

Her face squeezes a bit as she opens the food. Four pieces of yam and a well garnished omelette stare back at her.

"I don't think I can finish it."

"Ehn?" She's kidding right? Oh, I forgot she's sick. "Its okay, eat what you can or do you want me to feed you?" I'm teasing, placing a fork into her hand.

"You're doing that big brother thing again."

I forgot... again.

The reason she rejected me was because i was, or should i say AM, the brotherly type. Like back then, my heart squeezed for a bit.  'Don't give up...' I chant Bolu's words in my head.

It's been two years since her response towards my proposed feelings and I am suppose to be satisfied at being 'just best friends'. But I am not....

"You know we care about you. Just eat before I stuff your face."

Her small hearty laugh made me smile.

"Hey,.." She drops her fork after taking one bite of the meal, "so Ini didn't come to school today?"