18. While you were sleeping.

Boma's POV

It's already lights out.... Good.

If I wait a little longer the hostel will be quiet and I can make my move.

I will surely get it. Nualla, or Iyabo, you are going down.

I let out a soft chuckle at the thought. I'm tired of her manipulations. To the students, she looks so bright and cheery.

Ugh I wish they knew. She is a crazed, self absorbed, power controlled witch. Nothing she does ever comes out for the good of anyone but her.

They say, the rat doesn't appear unless it smells a meal.

It was during the Year of the first polio eradication in the country. I worked as a nurse in a small clinic outlet, for children below the age of 5 to receive treatment but in disguise,  it was also my meal source, and they were little children with delicious amount of life force.

That was when I met Iyabo. Tall, slender, beautiful and very charming. She looked like the carved Queen of Ethiopia, well known for her beauty across the borders of Africa.

Reincarnation? Maybe. When I met her, she was gentle and soft but underneath that gentleness she was a heartless monster with cold darkness, filled with the most unfathomable power I have ever seen a witch wield.

She was in search of the heart of a wolf-demon she trapped and can not control properly until she finds its heart. She had told me her father, who was a great sorcerer, had killed the Demon prince, removing its heart and hiding it in a sacred place.

How come it's in a child now?

Once again, i graze through my plan for the night, over and over without any seconds thoughts. It has to be in Bami.

Finally, the girls hostel is silent and everyone is asleep. I check my phone in the dark for the time, 2:26a.m. No senior will be monitoring the hallway nor the way to the hostel gate at this time.

Let's go.

Getting out of bed, quietly and discreetly, trying not to wake up my bunk mate on top or anyone else in the room. With my pajamas still on, I sneak through the bathroom window. Not an easy climb.

I'm outside, the cicadas already singing under the dull moon. I try to hurry before my windowed chance is up.

Bami first, then Ini.

Even though I felt nothing from Bami the last time I held her, something went off as soon as I watched her go into Iyabo's office yesterday and I felt it. Back then, Iyabo had mentioned Ini. I'm not sure If Ini is the child I'm looking for, but if she has the heart, all the more easier to get.

Successfully out of the hostel perimeters, inside the heavy bush that almost leads to the school's farm. Where no eyes nor ears are meant to encounter with me. It is to their detriment anyway, but I don't want the distractions now either.

Behind a huge tree, rubbing the cold soil of the earth on my body, I lay beside me a small red knotted cloth already soaked with snake's blood so I can return to it once I'm done from my quest.

With my arms placed across my chest in an X form, I let my powers begin to fill me up.

Just with a thought, I'm transported to a small room.

Bami's room.

A small lamp glows faintly in the room. Seems she hates sleeping in the dark.

Taking a few steps to her sleeping body. As I got closer, she makes a groan, attempting to shift to a different position. Fortunately, she can't see me unless I show myself to her. Yet, I felt this odd chill around her room, like I was being watched.