"Because people will look at us like we're crazy. Jogging is a early morning activity."

"Fine, we'll go this evening. Happy?" I say, compromising. He dressed casually, in his grey sweats and a blue t-shirt. "Are you hungry?"

"Yes, I was coming here to help you, but I guess you managed without me." He looks kind of disappointed.

"Yeah," I say, reminded of my injured hand. I hide it under the folds of my saree.

I smile at him, probably flashing all my teeth to hide from the excruciating pain I'm suffering. I turn back to the kitchen, but Aniket leads me to the dining table, and I can't ask him to stop when my in-laws are right here, judging our exchange.

"I am not hungry, you should eat." I say pushing his plate toward him with my uninjured hand.

He looks at me, clearly understanding there was something else going on and eats the food without complaint. I see him smile when he puts the food in mouth.

"Don't drool, Aniket. Tell her about the food," Ma whispers.

Aniket looks at his mother, then at me, and sighs. "I like your food."

"Thanks, I tried my best under ten minutes." I laugh.

"It's wonderful."

I nod, unable to accept the compliment from him. I was never good at receiving compliments.

"You know, our family actually sleeps in on Sundays." My father in law says, a smile playing over his thin lips.

"Why did you wake up then?"

"We were trying to adjust to you. My wife told me that you're an early riser."

"I am. Just not on Sundays or after long shifts," I explain.

"Then all of our efforts has gone to waste."

"We could all sleep in next Sunday. How about that?"

"That would be great," he laughs.

I finally feel like I'm fitting in to this household and I remember that I forgot to give them nicknames.

"You all need nicknames."

"What?" They all ask in unison.

"Nicknames. I make them up for people. All of my family and friends had the honor of me nicknaming them."

"She's horrible. She nicknamed her father Papi."

"Hey, you can't say that before actually hearing them."

"Fine. Let me hear it."

I try and think hard, actually making an effort to make it good. "First, it's Ma. I want to call you... Mayma."

"Mayma?" She asks, curious as to why I chose that name.

"Because the shortened form of your name, Maykala, is May and I want to call you Amma."

"Okay, I think I like it."

"Your next," I say, pointing to my father-in-law. "Your gonna be Pops."

"Why?"

"Because my father never let me call him that."

"And Aniket."

"Oh no."

"Oh yes." I say laughing. Let me see, "what about AniBear?"

"What? That is the worst nickname ever,"
he says snorting.