Champion-esque, (Revali x Reader)

Start from the beginning

The rest of the Champions retired to different spots around the cave. Knowing you had absolutely no chance of sleep while your fingers and toes were freezing off, you volunteered to keep watch until somebody else woke and replaced you.

The night was lonely. Off in the distance you could hear the faint cry of wolves, in another direction the sound of bokoblins dancing and howling echoed. You sat at the mouth of the cave, your knees pulled up to your chest with your arms securing them in place. Each breath left a mess of swirling fog hanging in the air until it dispersed and disappeared forever. An hour went by with no movement from outside or inside the cave. Not until you felt two wings wrap firmly around your entire body and a yellow beak rested on your shoulder.

"Revali," you scolded, turning quickly to check on the others. They were soundly sleeping. "- not here. You know that." Attempting to remove him was futile.

"Why did you give away all your elixirs?" He questioned, ignoring your concerns.

"Come on, they could wake up any minute! You know they can't see us."

"Maybe you wanted to make sure Mipha and Urbosa were comfortable? Or have you become careless when it comes to your own safety?" He continued to have a one-sided conversation aloud.

You wiggled your shoulders, twisted your body, even kicked your feet, but nothing worked. He had a lock around you and you weren't getting out. The soft sound of the other Champions rustling in their sleep could be heard behind you. Though, if they were you wake, you suppose they couldn't really see you. Revali was completely encasing you with his wings. It did warm you and felt quite nice after taking a beating from the cold during the day. "They needed it more than I do." You sighed, opting to give up. Your body sank into his.

"So you were being careless." He stated, pulling you closer to him. "You must be more of a ditz than I originally thought."

"You and I both know they are far more important than I am, their safety comes first."

"At least you're pretty."

"Shut up." You groaned. "I just want to get back to the Castle."

"Why is that? As far as I'm aware, you are going to be welcomed with work." He closed his eyes and listened to the eerie silence that fell over the mountains. The snowflakes seemed to chime like bells in a church choir. The faint sound of monsters had subsided and was replaced with a sense of peace. Everything was, for once, calm. With the Calamity on the rise, and new creatures popping up every day, a moment of tranquility was sparse. You should relish the time you have like this, especially with the one you hold close to your heart.

"Okay, I want to get back to Rito Village. It's freezing up here."

"Which brings us back to our original conversation." He let out a breathy sigh, "I would appreciate it if you watched out for yourself from time to time."

"I do."

"-not. The Princess seems to take priority over your health. While I do agree, her role is a very important one, yours is too and you need to recognize that."

"I'm only here to keep her safe and calm so she can continue with her rituals. It's not like I know anything about these shrines or the Divine Beasts."

"You're far too self-deprecating, dear. I've noticed you get that way at night, perhaps you need to get more sleep. What was it..." he lifted his head from your shoulder. "Eight hours a night? From what I've observed, you barely get three."

"You've been watching me? Stalker much?"

"Any caring lover, which I am, only wishes the best for their loved ones. You're nearly the worst fighter on the team and yet you always volunteer to keep watch at night? That's absurd."

"I just-"your voice caught in your throat as your face grew hot. "I just want to help." Every time you traveled with the Champions, an aching feeling filled your heart. You so badly wanted to help and fight like them. Link was an amazing swordsman, Daruk was godly strong, Revali was the best of the best, Mipha could heal people, and Urbosa could control lighting for god's sake! Even Zelda, she had a power locked inside of her that would help seal the darkness away. She had the most important role. You were merely a burden traveling with them. At times you couldn't quite keep up and fell behind, they would have to wait on you. Revali would apologize for not offering to carry you, seeing as the two of you had wanted to stay a secret. Sometimes you could tell your presence wasn't welcome among the Champions, and other times you felt right at home.

"You are helping."

"I'm not though! I'm useless." Turning in his arms you pressed your face against his chest and held tightly onto his body. "I'm just sick of not being important."

His body tensed considerably. You two had been together for a while now and he had never seen you like this. Comforting others wasn't exactly his forte. All he knew to do was hold you and that is exactly what he did. He let you cry until there were no tears left, even if it did leave water stains down the front of his undershirt. Every now and again he would whisper words of encouragement or would tell you all the ways and reasons he loved you. Eventually, the both of you fell asleep to the sounds of whipping winds and the crackling fire.