You smell like...

Beginne am Anfang

"Really? I thought they hated each other." Elizabeth commented as she glanced over at them.

"Apparently not." they looked at each other and giggled.

The doorbell rang over the music and Julie rushed over to the door to open it, hoping it was Nathan.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CUZ!" yelled her cousin Suzanne. Suzanne rushed through the door and gave Julie a big hug. "Have you found him, yet?" she looked around waiting for an answer.

'Nope, not yet." Julie said with a sigh.

"Maybe your mate is a girl?" Suzanne teased.

"Yeah, well she's not here either." Julie shot back with a grin.

She closed the door and her cousin walked past her laughing and melted into the crowd. Julie shook her head and stood by the door and watched the crowd dance to the music. She glanced at the clock and took a deep sigh, watching the clock was pointless. All it would do is make her anxious and the longer it took him to get here the more nervous she would get. Jewels wasn't convinced that Nathan would even be their mate and so she was able to be more patient.

I smell something sweet and ......fire? Jewels became intrigued by the unfamiliar combination that didn't cause fear in anyone around them.

A voice starting singing Happy Birthday and it grew as the rest of the crowd joined in. Julie looked over toward the dining room and saw her Mom pushed a cake lit with candles into the middle of the living room.

"Its called a birthday cake" Julie reassured her wolf.

What do you do with it?  That doesn't look safe. 

"The tradition is to make a wish, blow out all the candles and then eat it." Julie thought about what she should wish for while everyone sang to her.

I wish for my mate. Jewels said simply.

"Good wish" Julie agreed.

The song ended just as the cake reached her and Julie looked at the cake and smiled. It was in the shape of a wolf running, covered in chocolate and flecked with white frosting to give it shading and depth. Along the top of the wolf, a row of 18 candles danced from spine to tail.

Is that supposed to be me? I'm on fire.

Julie giggled at the unimpressed note in her wolf's voice. "Let's make our wishes shall we?" she thought to Jewels.

Julie closed her eyes and took a deep breath. To herself, she thought quietly, "Let Nathan be my mate." She then opened her eyes and after a deep breath, blew the candles out along the length of the wolf cake. The room cheered and clapped and Julie received hugs from family and friends.

In the midst of the music starting back up and cake being cut and served the smell of trees and sweat came up behind her and placed their hands over her eyes. Julie stilled, recognizing the feel of the hands that covered her eyes. At last, he was here. But then Julie caught the scent of Michelle among the sweat coming from behind her.

Jewels started to growl. He is definitely not our mate.

Julie grabbed his hands from covering her eyes and turned around to look at Nathan. Looking deep into his eyes, she knew that he would never be her mate. There was guilt in his eyes as she comprehended what she was smelling on his skin.

"You and Michelle?" Julie said in shock.

"I don't want to be mated with her," Nathan said quickly. "I want you."

The scent coming from his skin said otherwise," You had sex with her." It was a statement. Julie felt like she was going to throw up. Here he was saying he was going to reject the mate whose scent was all over him, that he'd clearly just been with. She looked at Nathan with disbelief in her eyes as if she'd never seen him before.

"It's not what you think," he said urgently.

"I don't want to talk about this now. I can't believe what you are saying. Her scent is all over you." Julie said harshly.

Nathan blanched, forgetting that Julie's nose would now be able to catch any scent on him. This just made him more guilty. He tried to salvage the situation.

"I don't love her. I love you." He said.

Julie's wolf continued to growl. He lies, he loves no one but himself. His wolf is ashamed.

Julie wanted to cry and scream but knew she had to keep it together in front of everyone. "Go home, Nathan. You have nothing to say to me. Nothing that I will believe."

"I won't lose you, Julie." Nathan started to say more but looked behind her then turned and left the house.

Julie became aware of Stacy and her Parents standing behind her. She closed her eyes, if her nose could smell Michelle all over Nathan then she knew Stacy and her parents could too. Stacy placed her arms around Julie and gave her a supportive hug from behind. Her mother also came up and put her arm around her shoulders.

"Come on, baby girl, let's call it a night." her mom said.

Julie opened her eyes as she felt the love coming from her parents, her friend and even from her wolf.

I will never betray you. Jewels sent as many warm feelings as she could muster for Julie to feel.

Finding strength in the love of her wolf, Julie turned to her mom and smiled. "Its okay, let's finish this party on a good note. Let's not let stupid people ruin things for everyone."

That's my girl.