While Alphas gave the command, Betas oversaw the working of the command. Deltas were the one who made sure the command was delivered. Gammas were more or like the peacekeepers and ambassadors of the pack.

Rhaze being tied down, I wondered whether Cain would deliver the blows himself. After all, she was the closest to kin he had.

Ethan shook switch fury while Harper slowly inched towards my sister. "Loyalty. What a fairy tale. Give people gold and power, Rhaze Throne. You will see how efficient that loyalty of yours is."

"Much better than yours," Rhaze retorted.

Harper's lips raised. "You think you stand in the line of righteousness? You think you know everything? You think Moon is clever to pair that weak sister of yours to an Alpha?"

"Moon did go quite wrong there," my sister agreed, eliciting a gasp from Alpha Violet. "Because Ethan does not deserves her."

Ethan growled. "I will not tolerate any disrespect, Throne."

Listening to their conversation did nothing to ease the pressure that was building in my chest. How many people were to fight for me? When would I learn to fight on my own? The more I thought about it, more pathetic I felt.

"I will follow her too," Alpha Violet said, cutting whatever Harper was about to say. "Follow Lyra, I mean."

This statement woke up mummers, the companion of gasp. For the Alpha female to say she was leaving the pack, there was no greater dishonour to the pack more than that. Despite Ethan taking the role of the Alpha, his parents very much held the title. If word got to the Halls that the former Alpha female left her pack, the Nobles would no doubt change the current Alpha.

"You think you can do that, mother?" Ethan asked with a calmness that rattled my core.

What was he up to now?

"Yes," Alpha Violet said with a conviction, a conviction that did not ease the storm I saw in the newly mated Alpha pair.

Ethan turned his face and nodded to the shifter there. "Gerald! Bring him!"

Reece curled her fingers into a fist and Mike was regaining his consciousness. As much as he could in that painful state of his, he caressed her hand. Reece dropped her anger and knelt next to him. Comforting her, Mike snapped his head up and saw me. His hazel eyes widened and his breathing changed. Reece whispered something in his ears to which his jaws locked. Had those Splicers not been there, I was sure Mike would have attacked Harper.

It just sent a twinge to my heart to know that the shifter I called my brother was ready to kill me and the one who was like a brother, was ready to defend my life and honour, no matter the cost.

I dragged my eyes away from them. It landed on my poor mother, who gave so much to me. I wondered what did I ever do to deserve this? Was loving your family that bad? Why were my mother and sister being punished for a crime that was not theirs? Not even mine?

Her eyes had dark shadows around them and her body looked bruised. Her breathing pattern was erratic and her heart thrashed against her rib cage.

Next to mother was a pair of familiar boots. Tracing the owner, my sight landed on Livvia. Her face was too blank for someone who was very expressive. When her grass green eyes met mine, she looked away fast. But not fast enough for me to see the love she had for me. I saw the pain in her eyes and the unshed tears none of the morons here would ever notice.

Was she playing them?

The gathering cleared and a shifter dragged someone behind him. I recognised the scent, but I refused to believe it. When the murmurings rose, I dared myself to see Alpha Charles being pulled like a felon. He was a respectable man. One of the best shifters. Yet he was being humiliated and degraded by his own son.