Chapter 4

I tried to pry my eyes open. My vision was blurred and everything was hazy. My skin was burning up. I was a human and this high temperature could potentially kill me. I was not ready to die so soon.

I licked my dry lips, only to find I was completely dehydrated.

"She will die if she continues like this," a male said.

"I am trying to take her pain," the female who asked me when I first came in said. "But I cannot."

A childlike voice then said, "I can't bear to see another die."

"Is it necessary that I have to commit a felony to go in?" a voice asked. And even in that pain, I felt that voice was familiar. This brain did not know, but my soul did. 

"Unfortunately, yes," the first male replied.

Yet, seconds later, I felt a cooling sensation over me and the fire died as if its master was near.

"Arien!" The childlike voice snapped. "What are you doing?"

"I am taking her pain," he replied. "She has been wronged. I don't know why."

"So many are wronged, Arien!" she said. "Will you go an take away their pain?"

"If I could, yes," he replied.

I tried to open my eyes, but they stayed shut. Several seconds later, I was able to open my eyes and the first thing I saw was a pair of silver eyes looking at me in concern. The eyes scanned me and I took in a sharp breath.

The scent of fire and rain hit me hard. It was a scent I could die breathing. 

"Thank you," I whispered. I did not even know if he heard me or not.

He gave me a small smile and nodded and that was the last thing I saw.

*******

The next time I woke up, I did not know if I had dreamed a male with silver eyes standing out. There was not a trace of that scent nor presence.

I was about to ask the people around me about him, but I saw Andrew stand in front of me.

"Ly," he breathed. "By the Moon, Lyra! What was Ethan thinking?"

I opened my mouth but my throat ached. Tears escapee my eyes and I shook my head. The chains dug through my wrists. Each time I tugged it, spines grew from the manacles to poke my skin. I could not believe how idiotic I had been. It was Andrew who found this method of manacles for the prisoners.

"Shit!" he swore and came closer, but the second he came close enough, a red light flared at the end of the corridor.

A guard marched down and barked, "Andrew!"

Immediately he took a few steps back and the light faded away. "Sorry, Dan! Forgot!"

"Leave as soon as possible, Andy." A grumble followed. "Alpha would be here any second."

Andrew nodded and gave me a pained look. When Dan left, he sighed. "I hate myself, Ly. How could I allow him to do this to you?"

I shook my head again.

"I should have brought at least water," he muttered.

A strangled breath left me.

"I have no idea, Lyra," he said quietly, too quietly that only because of my enhanced hearing I was able to hear him. "But guys and I are working on a plan to release you."

I gave him a flat look.

"You think that's impossible?" he scoffed. "Let me tell you something. It is very much possible."