Chapter Four - Summer of the Past

August 26

Dear Diary,

Finally, the end of the week. Going to the nursing home tomorrow with my sister (I hope) so this entry I’ll be writing will be a short one. I don’t want my mom knocking on my door again tonight. You can call it a side story – that’s what Niall called it.

The playground looked deserted. No other children in sight as far as a little boy with dirty blond hair and blue eyes could see. He heard the swing creak and found another person in the playground. The other boy swung mindlessly as he stared at the afternoon sky.

“Hey! What are you doing here?” asked the blue eyed boy.

The other boy removed his attention from the sky and looked at the person that called him with his brown eyes. The brown eyed boy blinked and asked innocently, “I’m sorry. I-Is this your swing? I-I’ll get off it if you want to. I’m really sorry for sitting on it. I-I didn’t know it was owned…”

“It’s not my swing… people can’t own swings. That’s not allowed.”

“Oh…”

“What’s your name? Mine’s Niall.” Niall grinned, walking towards the other boy.

“It’s Liam. How old are you?”

“Are we getting personal now?”

“I didn’t mean it to be that way… sorry. I’m really sorry.”

“You don’t have to say sorry all the time, Liam. I’m five and you?”

“I’m five years old too!” Liam smiled happily at the coincidence.

Liam stood up from the swing and went closer to Niall. “Do you live near here?”

Niall shook his head. “No. I live in Mullingar, Ireland. Me and my parents are only staying here this summer…”

Liam frowned. The possible friend he just found would be gone by the end of the summer. Niall took notice of Liam’s fingers fiddling. “What are you doing?”

“I’m just thinking…”

“Thinking of what?”

“Since you’ll be here the entire summer, can I be your friend during your stay?”

Niall nodded. “Of course you can! I don’t even know anybody here… you’re the first one.”

Liam jumped with joy; his eyes bore a certain glimmer. Liam felt Niall pull him from the swing. “C’mon. As my first friend here, I’ll treat you with some soda…”

Liam freed himself from Niall’s grasp and shook his head. “I can’t.” Niall stared at him, confused at his new friend. “Why not? It’s great with any food.”

“I have to limit myself from those stuff. The nice doctor said it would be bad for me because I only have one kidney…”

“That’s too bad… Don’t worry, you’ll be fine. I’ve seen other people havin’ it worse.”

Liam smiled. “Thanks.”

Someone called Liam’s name and the brown eyed boy suddenly groaned. He took a quick look at his companion who was staring at him. “That’s my mom… I better go.”

Niall looked up to the sky. “Is it already late in the afternoon?”

Liam nodded. “Five to be exact.”

His hands held Niall’s tightly and started dragging him as he strides. “C’mon. I’ll introduce you to my mom.” They both come close to a woman waiting by the bus stop outside the playground. Niall thought that the woman didn’t look scary – she looks nice.