Chapter One - The Fateful Meeting

August 16

Dear Diary,

Ugh, I have to write on you again. Mr. Lambhur – seriously, why is he still my English teacher?! I’m like in the seventh grade! – still gave me a B- on the last one I’ve submitted.

Anyways, tomorrow is my birthday! Happy Birthday to me! I know that I’m too excited – it’s not like I’m eighteen or anything – but everybody’s avoiding me these past few days so I’m guessing they have a surprise for me. Sixteen years of age may not be that meaningful to celebrate but I know my mom and I’m willing to bet anything she has planned something already.

By the way, our art class teacher, Miss Lillian, couldn’t wait and gave me a gift right after our class (she’s the best teacher ever – and her British accent totally rocks!). I stuffed it inside my bag so that mom wouldn’t notice it when I got home. Her gifts were pretty obvious but still thoughtful: a sketch pad and charcoal pencils.

I know that this next one is too private to tell anyone but you’re the best one to tell it to. I asked Dorothy if she wanted to go to the movies this Friday night and she said yes! I’m so excited…

Gotta go! Mom’s calling me down for dinner.

Zac.

August 20

Dear Diary,

I haven’t written on you for a few days so let me do a brief summary of what has happened:

1. My birthday was awesome! I had the best gifts in my life. Uncle Jamie bought me the acoustic guitar I’ve always wanted and the best part, dad said he will buy me a car when I turn eighteen! How cool is that?

2. I had a great time with Dorothy last night. She even kissed me good night. I felt a bit dizzy after it, and I still am.

3. My sister, Grace, and I are going to the nursing home today! A little bit of social work doesn’t hurt, does it?

Zac.

Dear Diary,     

I just met the most awesome person in my entire life!

So were at the nursing home right now and an hour ago I was playing and singing some songs with my guitar for the seniors and after my mini-concert, one of them came up to me and had a little chat.

His name is Niall. He’s not that old – he’s thirty six. He’s not from here and has no family left so the people here at the nursing home took him in. To say the least, he still has that amazing voice. It was like listening to Michael Buble and, wait for it, he plays the guitar! He does all those wicked moves that even I can’t do. Mind you, he still handsome as any eligible middle-aged man (not as handsome as me though).

He’s off to the grocery store with some of the other workers here at the nursing home so I thought I would write for a while. The other seniors are having their siesta hour so no one would bother me right now.

The most interesting thing about him is that even though we just met, the two of us were so connected already. He even told me a story (he didn’t finish it but he promised to continue when he got back) about his first love who turned out to be his only love even until now. It was a bit weird at first but as he continued on with story, I kinda liked it. So here goes…

Niall’s POV

“Hurry up, Nialler! Don’t be too soggy – lighten up! You happen to love parties!”