Chapter 4

Gabby and I made it, undetected by anyone. We were in complete darkness however as soon as we took an immediate left into the curtained side stage. I couldn't believe we were actually doing this.

"I can't see a thing." I said as I lead us down into the darkness of backstage, somehow Gabby had pushed me in front of her, making me lead the way. We could only see where the backdrop of the stage was, otherwise curtains filled the walkway, so in seeing the backdrop, we knew we weren't too far from the audience. We ducked into one curtain then as there was someone coming our way through the walkway.

"Ow!" Gabby hollered as I shoved her into the one curtained room to avoid being caught. I shushed her and froze as the lights suddenly came on. Gabby and I gasped as we both were hesitant to move in fear. I realized exactly where we were. We were in the dressing room of the guys. They were coming back for a costume change.

"Oh my God! Hide, they're coming." I told her in a whisper. I ran through the dressing room. Gabby immediately found a crate they were using as a coffee table to a futon they had outfits laid out on. She threw the things on it to the futon as she then crawled into it like a coffin. There were racks and racks with clothing along the curtained walls as I started to panic looking for somewhere for me to hide. I found an empty tall crate that appeared to have held microphone stands or something and managed to hide in it as soon as the curtain into the dressing room moved. Gabby had the crate open a crack to make eye contact with me. I had the door open a crack like how I found it and held my breath. James tore off his shirt quickly and I felt my breathing catch in my chest at the sight of his body. His broad shoulders and muscles contracted as he was ripped. I always admired him for his body, but knew he didn't like being known for that only. Logan walked by Gabby as he was changing his MC Hammer like pants into jeans, once in his boxer briefs, Gabby covered her mouth to keep from saying anything or laughing. I then had to as well from her reaction.

Kendall then walked over in front of the crate with his shirt off as well. His tattoos on his skin, making me want to study them up close. The muscles in his back, although not as defined as James's or Carlos's from across the room,  were just as nice to look at. He turned so I could see the sugar skull tattoo on his upper arm. I wanted to open the lid to the crate and reach for him, but I kept my arms under my armpits to ensure they would stay put. He then threw on a tank top oblivious to my watching him so closely as the other guys were exiting the dressing room with banter I couldn't really hear. Kendall was last to leave and someone turned down the lights again. I sighed in relief and opened the crate as Gabby threw the lid of the crate open.

"Lord have mercy on my soul." Gabby said looking a tad flustered as my eyes adjusted to the lights being down again. I giggled as the lights were then flickered for a second. We froze again standing next to each other in the middle of the dressing room. We could hear the singing continue onstage as the lights came back on fully and stayed on. We looked at one another for a second.

"What's happening now?" She asked me panicked as I opened my mouth about to tell her I was just as clueless when I was cut off. Just then, Kendall walked back into the dressing room. I covered my mouth as he looked up and his eyes bulged. His eyes went between us as he shut the curtain door behind him which wasn't necessary if he wanted us to get caught.

"Please don't yell." Gabby pleaded. His brow furrowed as he took a step forward.

"What the hell are you two doing back here?!" He exclaimed with his hands to either side of his body outstretched in an accusing manner.

"Don't yell I said!" Gabby said annoyed in a hiss. He shook his head in disbelief and scoffed.

"Please," I started as I grabbed Gabby's wrist and keeping her close to me. His eyes then traveled to me and stayed there for a moment. I would be lying if I hadn't seen his eyes soften a tad at looking to me instead of Gabby. "We got lost, that's one hundred percent honest. I swear on my life, it's the honest truth. We are lost and it was dark back here." I told him. His eyes softened visibly this time as I felt the tension in my shoulders loosened and he then started towards the crate I had once been. He picked up a microphone on the floor and then pointed at us with it. Only like three feet away and I could see he wasn't as upset as he had been when he first walked in. Man he was gorgeous though.

"I don't know if I believe you, but I know you're backstage with no backstage passes. So, that means you're not suppose to be here." Kendall said walking back to the curtain door with his back to us suddenly. He then turned before exiting. "So you either go and somehow get out, or our crew or whoever finds you will have you arrested. We don't want that, but it'll be what happens." Kendall said giving me one last glance of seriousness before leaving us alone and heading back onstage where I could hear his voice over the mic he must've just picked up.

"He seems nice." Gabby said happily as if we hadn't just been caught by one of the band members, well the one that I came for anyway. I scoffed and pulled her towards the curtain with a rolling of my eyes.

"We have to leave." I told her as the lights dimmed once more, this time fully until the next costume change. Gabby pulled on my arm then as I turned to look to her. Her eyes were almost pleading.

"Sophia, this is probably the only chance you get to meet them all. Kendall said he didn't want us to get arrested, so we just have to make sure that they are the ones who find us!" Gabby yelled in a whisper as 'If I Ruled World' came on over the speakers. She had a point with that. This was my first act of rebellion, so I figured it's what I needed to do to make it memorable.

"Fine, but can we stay somewhere while we wait for them to 'find' us where we can see them perform?" I asked Gabby in a whine, I was a fan girl after all. She giggled and pulled me to were we were behind the futon, we crouched then as she looked to me.

"Under the curtain, we're beneath the DJ." She said as she got on her hands and knees. She lifted up the thick curtain and we could see the show from behind the big white steps for the guys to stand on with a trampoline in the middle. The guys were jumping around and dancing to the songs everyone here knew the words to. Gabby and I sat on the floor looking out at the guys, knowing they couldn't see us from the angle we were at. A few songs passed as they had just done a lot of dancing just now. Soon it was time for costume change number two. Gabby and I clung to one another behind the futon as the guys filed in, I held my breath, hoping we wouldn't be yelled at some more.

"I'm telling you! There were two girls who snuck back here. I came back for the mic and they were standing in the middle of the dressing room." Kendall said changing his pants this time as I hid my face looking to Gabby instead. Gabby rolled her eyes at me as she smirked.

"Well where'd they go? Do you think they got caught?" Carlos asked changing his shirt. Kendall shrugged as I looked back out over the futon. James was then flopping on the futon with a water in his hand. His head was so close to my head in this moment, if he leaned back one little bit the bill of my hat would touch him. Gabby was eyeballing it as well, her eyes wide. She looked worried. Before I knew it, her eyes closed, letting me know it happened and James leaned forward and then stood up.

"What the hell?!" James exclaimed and touched the back of his head. We were now seen for sure.

"Told ya." Kendall said folding his arms across his chest as we were seen. We both slowly rose up, holding onto each other's hands. Gabby waved a little wave as Logan's pants simultaneously fell to his ankles. It was so perfectly comedic, but we couldn't laugh. James and Carlos, however, broke out in a hyena like fit of laughter.